UKC

Loft bouldering conversion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimboWizbo 19 Oct 2014
Hi.

I've recently committed to buying a house with a fair sized loft. I've simultaneously been told not to drive by the doctor, probably for 6 months, possibly 12. So I'm planning ahead and trying to think of ways to use the time to get strong.

Has anybody heard of anyone converting their loft into a bouldering cave?

I'm wondering if the beams will be sufficient to cope with the loads without rattling the roof tiles off!

I appreciate this depends entirely on the construction of the roof, but I'm just looking for a feeling of if it's a goer or not.
 sduke85 19 Oct 2014
In reply to JimboWizbo:

I built a woodie in my loft at the start of the year, used 3/4 inch plyboards cut to size so they fit through the hatch.
Bought a load of t-nuts, M10 bolts and holds from the wall that they were selling and the rest is history.

The beams were easily strong enough and the whole thing is absolutely solid, i would say make sure the flooring or boards in the loft will take impact. (for falls)

I have photos from my project if you want to check them out drop me a message and ill email them to you.

other than that get cracking and enjoy!!!!
Tony Simpson 20 Oct 2014
In reply to JimboWizbo:

The roof beams are not your problem and will easily take the weight. The issue you will have and most people don't do this, is that you should be laying a floating floor before building. The reason for this is if you do fall off a lot (most people do on a bouldering wall) the constant fall and vibrations through the existing flooring/ceiling will cause damage to this and could if weakens significantly fail ending up with you the ceiling and your mats either in the bedroom or bathtub.

Depends on how much you will use it and fall off I suppose..
 cdent 24 Oct 2014
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Once upon a time I did this in the top floor flat of rented accommodation that happened to have a loft. Worked out pretty well. I took it down when I left, nobody seemed to be wiser.

3/4 inch plywood screwed to the beams with long screws. In my case it wasn't the roof beams but the supporting beams that form the middle triangle.

I'll repeat what most others have said: the roof is not the concern, it's the floor. Both vibration and impact.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...