UKC

Manchester Climbing Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheNorthernOne 31 Aug 2006
Went there for the first time yesterday. Brilliant! If you live around the Manchester area and are looking for a place to climb indoors then this is it.

Reasonable prices, annual passes for those training monsters and the facilities are the best I've ever seen.

The lead walls so high I got scared! I'm not even scared of hights!!! Bouldering area's not the biggest ever but it's still good. Training rooms the dogs dangly bits though.

A credit to John Dunne, who I met for the first time. Seems a very nice bloke.

Get yourselves down there.
luke_brown 31 Aug 2006
In reply to TheNorthernOne: ....sponsored by manchester climbing centre

yea the main lead wall is pretty high isn't it. Took me a few attempts to get used to it...
rginns 31 Aug 2006
In reply to TheNorthernOne: you may not be scared of hights, how about heights??

ha! agree about the bouldering though, go to Climb Rochdale.
 Pauline 31 Aug 2006
In reply to rginns: why so you can try n climb routes in a telephone box??
 zoobizooretta 31 Aug 2006
 martin riddell 31 Aug 2006
In reply to TheNorthernOne:

thought it was average to be honest

lead areas were the usual height for climbing walls, the top rope areas were good, did not venture into the bouldering area

best bit was the lack of chalk dust/cleanliness of it all, but that may disapear due to usage
 dispeller 31 Aug 2006

I really liked Rochdale. Great for Bouldering and it has a nice lead section although Manchester edges it out due to sheer size and location.
rginns 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Pauline: yeah the lead wall can get a bit chocka but the boulderings as good as ahywhere I've seen. Could do with a bit more bendcrete maybe...
rginns 01 Sep 2006
In reply to dispeller: agreed, good bouldering.
 Pauline 01 Sep 2006
In reply to rginns: no probs with the bouldering area... except that i dont do bouldering. So for me the size of the lead wall and routing area is a big issue. Seemas a bit daft having that huge area with the windows that is completely unused... surely more short routes could go in there?!
rginns 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Pauline: Ah but do they own it? I'm sure they would develop it if they money was available but they may not have the capital. Good point though.

So why don't you boulder?
 SecretSquirrel 01 Sep 2006
In reply to rginns:
I believe there are various plans afoot to develop the centre, but it all takes time & money - its only been open just over a year!
 zoobizooretta 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Pauline:

they can't block the view of the big rose window, somat to do with the british heritage.
 pinkie 01 Sep 2006
yeah i go there occasionally- yes they have some big walls dont they! around last oct/nov wen i was at my best i lead a couple of the lead walls and its high- my arms were well pumped ! due to health probs this summer i havent been able to go climbing which was so annoying , but i went there the other day and im afraid i had to drop a grade -i wasnt happy ! but now its time to build up again, ive had a scramble on some limestone in the mean time - nothing too strenuous- quite like that limestone..
back to mcc- im not too over impressed about the bouldering area, but they do have a pump room- not tried that yet have you ?
 Tony Little 01 Sep 2006
In reply to zoobizooretta: Who in the last few posts is talking about MCC and who about Rochdale? My view is that rochdale is great for taking kids to, as the holds are closer together, maybe with them in mind. MCC is really superb, great route length and good setting. I went there last night for the first time since the winter and really enjoyed it, although I have one criticism - Most of the routes on the main high overhanging section were the same as last winter, hopefully they will change these before the autumn/winter "wall season".
 zoobizooretta 02 Sep 2006
In reply to Tony Little:

i was on about MCC, and they're on with changing the routes this week.
In reply to pinkie:
Had a quick look in the pump room but as I'm not at the peak of my fitness yet I didn't have a play.

I was well into a training programme and had managed to boulder V5 and lead F6b. Trad I was just building up to my first E1 lead.

Unfortunately being in the Army I've now had to cancel my climbing as am off to Sierra Leone until the end of October for Jungle training. No climbing whatsoever

Pity as I'm off to Bishop,California bouldering 2nd November and looks like I won't be doing any of the harder stuff I really hoped to do. Gutted.
In reply to rginns: Don't know about those 'heights' you speak of but I'm scared sh*tless of splellinng!!! (",)
 dispeller 02 Sep 2006

The Pump House at MCC is great although I've still not managed to get under that blasted Campus Board on the green route!!

Probably down there tomorrow with the weather being so bad!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...