UKC

Manchester Wall: At long last!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 08 Nov 2004
After years of rumours about the opening of a climbing wall in Manchester it looks like we are finally going to get one.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=106504

I believe it is in a church in Ardwick, can't wait hopefully there'll be a website soon but I guess that's a low priority.
 Simon Caldwell 08 Nov 2004
In reply to Tyler:
> hopefully there'll be a website soon

watch this space:
http://www.manchesterclimbingcentre.com/
 Wibble Wibble 08 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

But where is it going to be?

Their recruitment policy seems to be drafted to exclude 99% of commited climbers: "Good communication skills and a willingness to work as a team are essential"

sutty 08 Nov 2004
In reply to Tyler:

Pack your own kalashnikov when alighting from your car?
OP Tyler 08 Nov 2004
In reply to sutty:

You think a car would last as far as Ardwick of an evening?! Another reason why I'm so peed off the govt have withdrawn funding for the Metrolink extension.
In reply to Tyler:
> I believe it is in a church in Ardwick, can't wait hopefully there'll be a website soon but I guess that's a low priority.

Have I got the right location in my news report?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
OP Tyler 08 Nov 2004
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Don't know I'm afraid but Grame Alderson does, that's certainly the right area just don't know if it's the right church.
chalkie 09 Nov 2004
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
> You think a car would last as far as Ardwick of an evening?! Another reason why I'm so peed off the govt have withdrawn funding for the Metrolink extension. You may pass through some "dodgy" areas on you way to the wall, but once there you can park your car with a safe mind. CCT cameras and protected parking bays have been built into the business plans. I think inspite of your worries this will be a fantastic venue and complement/releive the pressure on other climbing wall locations scattered around the Manchester area.

OP Tyler 09 Nov 2004
In reply to chalkie:

It's nice to here they are providing secure parking as this is over and above what I would expect and wouldn't have stopped me going anyway. My rant about the Metrolink still applies though, especially as it looks like Edinburgh have just been granted a £500 million rail link for their city centre.

Will there be many parking spaces?
 Kate Smith 10 Nov 2004
Secure bike parking too, please! Or somewhere safe inside I can leave my Brompton. I work very close to here (will be able to go bouldering in my lunch hour ) and I'm told bikes parked outside don't last long.

Kate
In reply to Tyler: Hurray. After waiting for a decent Manc wall for the best part of ten years one comes along just as I am clearing off to Australia. Good timing.
 Paul Crusher R 10 Nov 2004
Ardwick, Manchester City Centre, Car and will travel fast... words that will never be heard in a true statement. It was about time something was built in the madchester but, have you tried drving through manchester recently!!?? Not trying to shoot the plans down but i live near bolton and Im certainly not going to spend have my night fighting my into the city center.
Yet another crazy Ratho idea or not? And whilst im on a rant.. Ratho well... They thought it was a good idea at the time.. Me... well one wall .. 20 odd million quid or 10 walls 2 million quid each. Doesnt take a lot to figure out whats best for the climbing community!
 Paul Atkinson 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Paul R:If it's in Ardwick it'll be on my way home from work so i'm not complaining,E5 by next xmas
graeme alderson 11 Nov 2004
In reply to Paul R: It is a large church not a cathedral so any similarity to a Ratho sized development is inaccurate.
Anonymous 12 Nov 2004
Aaargh! The Dunn(e)s have a monopoly on manchester climbing walls, its all very Sicilian

Iggy in london now
pete theobald 12 Nov 2004
In reply to Paul R:

The access isn't too bad. I've driven there when its been busy and the access is good. Its in a built up area but the roads are wide as you come off the motorway and there all long stretches between traffic light junctions from what i remember. The area nearby is a little way off the main roads so not a problem with traffic there. Since theres naff all around it and all the local houses are due to be ripped down for redevelopment I wouldn't worry about the traffic. It'll be no worse than getting to the NWF in warrington or the edge in shef
P
 Paul Atkinson 12 Nov 2004
In reply to pete theobald: where exactly is it then?
pete theobald 12 Nov 2004
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

ardwick. Can't remember the exact directions but was directed by a friend whos worked on clearing it out. Its near oxford road/street train station
P
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Nov 2004
In reply to pete theobald:
> (In reply to Paul Atkinson)
>
> ardwick. Can't remember the exact directions but was directed by a friend whos worked on clearing it out. Its near oxford road/street train station
> P

That sounds like Hulme?

Stu
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: No, Ardwick. Nowhere near Oxford Rd but not too far from Picadilly train station? Up to the Apollo then turn onto Hyde Rd.

It will be a bitch to get to during rush hour.
black nick 14 Nov 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley:
The nearest train station is Ashbury's (Sp?) about half a mile away from the church.
Barney 10 Dec 2004
In reply to black nick:
Ardwick shouldn't be too bad to get to. I live in Hulme and go that way when going to the peaks (A57).

I can't wait for the new climbing centre. I moved to Manchester a little while ago (from Birmingham) and really want to get back into a climbing routine.
 zoobizooretta 21 Dec 2004
In reply to Barney:

Was over there yesterday, and it's looking impressive! They've fitted most of the 12m walls, the ones going hire are going in the rest of this week.
 haze01 21 Dec 2004
In reply to zoobizooretta:
hmmm, my mates seemed to think its going to be somewhere close to the Piccadilly train station (is that Ardwick? i don't know central Manchester that well!)

Anyway, i'm hoping its going to be good, cos its quite a trek over to Liverpool.
 zoobizooretta 21 Dec 2004
In reply to haze01:

no where near, it's just round the corner from the apollo if you know where that is...
 Ian Patterson 22 Dec 2004
> (In reply to haze01)
>
> no where near, it's just round the corner from the apollo if you know where that is...

Which is probably less than a mile from Piccadily station!
 zoobizooretta 22 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian Patterson:

get the train to ardwick... it's that chruch in the middle of the map...

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=387500.989318392...
Phil Sykes 23 Dec 2004
In reply to Tyler:

What's it having in it? just the usual?
 zoobizooretta 23 Dec 2004
In reply to Phil Sykes:

well it's got a 20m lead wall (leeds is only 12m), with a multi-pitch hanging belay and belay ledge.

Loads of twisted fibreglass bits giving you odd prow's and the like. A nice over hung pocketed wall.

The bouldering is the same size as the matrix wall in sheffield, but that wasn't in yet. But it's having a mix of fibreglass curved stuff, like the wave at the foundry and the new angled woodie's like UKboulder and rockcity in hull.

Paul Atkinson 23 Dec 2004
In reply to Tyler: has anyone said EXACTLY where it is anywhere yet?
 finkployd 23 Dec 2004
> has anyone said EXACTLY where it is anywhere yet?

Manchester, apparently
Hotbad Peteel 23 Dec 2004
In reply to Paul Atkinson: its in ardwick, manchester. Walking distance from oxford road station and most of the universirties. Its an old brick church which is very high for a climbing wall and I definitely can't remember where it is. I've been and seen it and its just a turn off a major road in ardwick so gfetting there won't be a problem. I think the domain www.manchesterclimbingwall.co.uk has been registered for it but isn't up and running yet. I'm sure details will be released soon though as its expected to open end of january (unofficially though)
PT
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

it's St Benedict's Church, Bennett Street, M12

like it shows on the link higher up
Hotbad Peteel 23 Dec 2004

thats the one. Can you tell I don't read much before posting

yeah!
 JDDD 23 Dec 2004
> (In reply to Phil Sykes)
>
> well it's got a 20m lead wall (leeds is only 12m), with a multi-pitch hanging belay and belay ledge.

Oh my goodness, that's a recipie for disaster if ever there was such a thing. Is there a resident air rescure service for all the numpties that get stuck on the belay ledge?

Nice idea though!
J2 23 Dec 2004
In reply to Jon Dittman:

Dont worry John, they will have a long ladder for you!
 Ropeboy 23 Dec 2004
In reply to Jon Dittman:

To be honest it did cross my mind, the floor walkers won't be able to tell you off for poor belaying up there.

J
Stephanie 26 Dec 2004
In reply to Tyler: Anyone got any ideas if Ardwick is walkable from Picadilly or if you can catch a magic bus there if not? Also, any exact dates for opening? - can't wait to start climbing again!
 zoobizooretta 27 Dec 2004
In reply to Stephanie:

there's a bus stop right outside the door, literally 2 metres from the door.
Dunno what bus it is yet, but will find out

it's ment to open the last week of Jan.
 Paul Atkinson 29 Dec 2004
I drove past St Benedict's yesterday on the way home after getting called in to work

It's an amazing building architecturally and I think a bit bigger and taller than NW face (although I don't know how much of it is being used ). I'm glad I don't have a posh car though given the location. Can't wait for it to open - it's within a couple of hundred yards of my route home from work.

Thank god (sorry) we live in the most atheistic society in the world and are now putting these buildings to a useful purpose Wait for the cathedrals to fall in to disuse and we'll have multipitch

cheers, Paul
Hotbad Peteel 29 Dec 2004
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Its almost twice the height of nwf but similarly proportioned. Theres meant to be similar bouldering area to boulder uks downstairs in there.

PT
 zoobizooretta 29 Dec 2004

isn't 20m high enough for you? The bouldering is the same diamentions as the matrix
Phil Sykes 14 Jan 2005
In reply to Tyler:

eyup zoobiz !!!

cheers for last week's climbing - crimps and flatties aplenty - cya next time around

Phil.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...