UKC

Tendon injuries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Clee 09 Dec 2008
Whilst pulling on a crimp at the wall last night, I felt a sharp pain in my right hand and wrist, it soon eased off, but has ached since. The tendon on my wrist appears to be standing out more than it should and it aches.

Has anyone else had a similar injury? If I continue to climb with it like this will it get worse?

I really don't want to have a break from climbing!
 The Lemming 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Clee:
> If I continue to climb with it like this will it get worse?
>
> I really don't want to have a break from climbing!

If your stomach will let you then you could take some ibuprofen.

Use lots of ice or frozen peas to reduce swelling.

And most importantly, see a physio as soon as possible.

BTW kiss climbing good bye for a couple of months

chiz 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Clee: get it iced, rested and checked out, especially if you got a lump.

If you climb with it like that then its more likely to make it worse than better...do you want a break from climbing, or a potential end to climbing (worst case scenario where you aggravate tendonitus repeatedly and end up not being able to use that arm).

I got a bad case of tendonitus from using a wrecking bar to demolish a wall in a confined space last feb, took a long lay off to get back to usual, still twinges as I probably rushed it and started climbing/grafting too quick. Your GP will just say to rest it for 6-8 weeks, if you can afford it go and see a sports/climbing physio

whatever you do, lay off the crimps for a few weeks!
 darren-surrey 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Clee:

Popped something in my wrist while dynoing. I didn't let it rest until there was zero pain and consequently I was stopping and starting climbing for about 18 months. Got to a point where I couldn't even climb 5+ top ropes. Took a couple of months after the pain finally subsided before I could top rope 6as again...

If that's not a warning to rest, I don't know what is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...