UKC

Torridon Ridges in a day report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Did the traverse of Liathach, Ben Alligin, Beinn Dearg Mor and all of Beinn Eighe to Kinlochewe in a long day on Tuesday. It was blustery and very Alpine, except on Ben Alligin which was pretty stripped of snow. Went back over beinn eighe the next day to collect the car. black carls were great both in moonlight and the sun. I uploaded photos to http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/Mountainsfolder/Scotland/NW-Highlands/Torr...
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Full moon addict:

Smug possibly, but clearly no mug. That's a *big* trip. Respect.
 colinthrelfall 15 Mar 2014

Brilliant trip to have done, well done.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2014

Your photos are beautiful, by the way. Are you a pro?
 heavy 15 Mar 2014

Incredible day amazing day!
In reply to Tim Chappell:

no, alas. But its a really important part of the day for me. I lug a heavy camera round because I want to try to recreate the essence of what I'm seeing. I think reflecting on the day is a vital part of the whole experience and I guess images help me to do that.
 SimonCRMC 15 Mar 2014

Well done, John. Nice to see you're still enjoying the occasional short day in the hills!
Simon
 Harry Holmes 15 Mar 2014

Good effort! What order did you do them all in?
 Billhook 15 Mar 2014

"Amazing effort" is an understatement. I can't think of anything more suitable. Just one of those would have done me for a day.

How many hours to do the lot??
 markk 15 Mar 2014
Very impressed! I had designs on a similar trip in the summer, but just wasn't fit enough so settled for two of them (www.flickr.com/photos/mark_up_north/sets/72157635441316920/)

I now feel re-inspired!
dux de lux 15 Mar 2014

Looks like a great day John, brilliant pics as well. If you fancy getting up there again in April/May I'm attempting a Munro round. Get in touch at danmunro2014 at g mail dot com

It would be great to have you along (hopefully less snow by then though!) My blog is here: danmunro2014.blogspot.co.uk
 Steve Perry 15 Mar 2014

That's some monster day, nice one.
 Scomuir 15 Mar 2014

So, that's a nice set of pictures from your morning out, but what did you do in the afternoon?
 Mal Grey 15 Mar 2014

Good effort, a big day indeed. Great images.

A bit less snow than 10 days ago now, but still enough winter to make it look completely stunning.

ben b 16 Mar 2014

That's a fantastic trip - well done John.

That hole in the cornice on Liathach made by blood run cold!

Anther great day out.

b
 drsdave 17 Mar 2014

Nice really nice shots, thanks for the info
d
 Lone Rider 17 Mar 2014

Where's the Like button?
In reply to Mal Grey:

yes, Id been hoping for full on winter conditions which would have made it more testing, but it was wonderfully Alpine.
In reply to Dave Perry:

it took 17 hours all told, but I wasn't rushing and had a heavy camera. I spent ages on photos on liathach waiting for clouds to blow over. also I went up Morrisons gully on Sail Mhor which proved to be extremely taxing. I had Inov8 fellrunning shoes on and the gully was filled with hard neve with nowhere to relieve the calves. I had to front point but the Grivels on the fellshoes loosened and it put a huge strain on my lower legs and feet. My feet just kept slipping down and with one lightweight axe it was torture to avoid sliding down the gully. To ensure some safety I thrust the shaft of the axe in where the snow was not completely solid, but with a lightweight axe it took a big effort and as a result it took me a long time and huge amounts of energy to get to the top of the 300m gully. By then I was a jelly from all the effort. Made the rest of the day seem easy!
 Billhook 17 Mar 2014

Thanks. I guess some groups have taken as long as that to do just one range!

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing them. It reminded me that a day like that is why it's worth all the effort of driving hundreds of miles just to get to Scotland!
Nice one John.

All: For another account of one of his winter epics see this UKH article on the Broxap round: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=5305
Post edited at 15:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...