The Sheffield Adventure Film Festival 2010 is running for its fifth year from March 12th to 14th. More details on www.shaff.co.uk
One of the most exciting events this year will be the ShAFF Adventure Shot Quiz and Photography Competition, with prizes from Arc'teryx, the culmination of which is a "shoot out" by five adventure sports photographers; three professionals and two winners from ShAFF Adventure Shot Open, here online on UKClimbing.
Prizes : £500 in cash and £2000 in kit up for grabs!
How to Enter - Now Closed
The competition will be based on UKClimbing readers own photo galleries, with the top 5 galleries in the Gallery of the Week Feature in each of the weeks Feb 15th to 21st, and Feb 22nd to 28th, going through to the Open Final. Two winners will then be selected from those 10 finalists by judges Alan James, UKClimbing.com head honcho, Ian Parnell, professional photographer and Matt Heason, ShAFF organiser.
Tips in order to up your gallery rating
- Upload new exciting images during that week
- Remove any photos from your gallery with low scores
- Aim to build a good spread of quality images
If you don't make the top five on Feb 21st, you can always try again for the 28th when a different five will be chosen (hence it may be more than the top 5 in week 2).
The judges will assess the 10 finalists looking for:
- Consistent high quality across a wide range of images i.e. not just one standout shot
- Images that capture the essence of the outdoor adventure experience - what it feels like to be deep in an adventure, the emotions, the wonder of it all)
- Images that "we" haven't seen before, or take an unusual or innovative look at our adventure world
Note: images don't have to be purely climbing, they can involve lifestyle, landscape, details or even an abstract approach, although variety of subject matter is likely to produce greater rewards.
WINNERS - WEEK 1
- Alex Ekins - gallery
- Brian D - gallery
- wee jamie - gallery
- Alexandre Buisse - gallery
- Henning Wackerage - gallery
WINNERS - WEEK 2
- Mike Hutton - gallery
- Roy Plenderleith - gallery
- John Cameron- gallery
- Sean Kelly - gallery
- The rest were winners from the previous week, and the UKC Articles Gallery came in at number 10, so there are just four winners this week.
The two chosen winners from the nine galleries above will compete on 13 March as part of the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival's Adventure Shot event. This will require the winners to produce a sequence of images set to music (lasting 3 to 5 minutes) which will be voted on by the audience on the night and an expert panel of judges Ian Parnell, David Simmonite and Matt Heason.
- First prize for the SHAFF event is £500 cash and an Arc'teryx Goretex jacket and trousers (approx retail value of £600)
- Second prize is an Arc'teryx jacket and trousers (approx value £600)
- Third prize is an Arc'teryx jacket (approx value £300)
The winners should be able to attend the grand final on Saturday 13 March (note travel expenses will not be provided) and will receive 2 complementary tickets to another event of their choice during the festival.
The evening will be compered by Sheffield's funny-man Niall Grimes and include a quiz (with 4 fleece jackets from Arc'teryx) put together by renowned photographer David Simmonite, who is busy gathering questions from celebrity climbers! It will start at 8pm, cost £3, and take place in the Café at The Showroom.
Tickets and further details of the event including all the rest of the stuff happening at this year's festival at www.shaff.co.uk