Rocktype Sandstone (soft)
Altitude 583m a.s.l
Soap on a Rope © alicia
World-class sandstone bouldering area. Enormous, no decent guidebook, but old Dr. Topo printouts may be circulating. Problems of all grades and sorts, slab, overhangs, roofs, pockets, slopers etc. Perfect hyper compact sandstone.
The best season is late fall-early spring.
There is wonderful free camping if you follow Rocky Lane a few seconds past the Left turn for Rocktown proper, and turn Right into Sawmill Camp. The climbers generally camp at the first field on the left after entering, but if you turn into the trees to the right (follow a track) there is a wonderful secluded campsite. DO NOT CAMP AT ROCKTOWN ITSELF OR IN THE PARKING LOT THIS WILL JEPORDIZE ACCESS FOR ALL. There is no potable water or toliets at the camp, but there is a lake a few seconds down the road from the campsight if you wanted to filter/boil. Gathering down wood for fires is OK, but check for postings.
Closure for hunting season, check with Georgia Dept. of Wildlife Managment.
Nearby Lost wall has some gear routes, and many of the larger pinnacles in Rocktown proper have masive TR/Ab anchors on top
Be nice to locals, they are often curious as to what the large mats are for and are often just trying to be friendly when asking what you are doing.
There is free internet at the Lafayette Public Library, but you must become a Library member (which is free)
Uncle Jeds is the nearest place to buy supplies, but driving up and down the mountain is a pain, so stock up before you go up.
Email me for old Dr Topo guide if needed
From LaFayette Georgia:
Follow signs for Crockford-Pigeon Mountain Wildlife Managment Area
1. Turn onto 193 North (West Main Street) at the intersection of 193 and 337 (S. Chattanooga Street)
2. Turn right on Chamberlain Road, Uncle Jeds, the service station on the right, is the last place to buy supplies
3. Turn right on Rocky Lane and switch back up the mountain
4. Turn right at the top
5. Rocktown will be the first proper left turn and will be signed
6. Drive to the end of the road, park, follow the obvious trail. The Orb area is the first area reached on the right. Continue to follow the main trail beneath several chossy towers and an obvious hard roof on the left (Sherman Roof) to the warm up area Hueco Simulator. Explore from there.
Same to #4
5. stay straight and follow signs to Sawmill Camp
No guides found for this crag
|There are no comments from visitors to this crag.|