UKC

UK Top HVSs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 21 Feb 2014
Loads on grit, strangely can't think of too many in Llanberis pass area, and all the Pembroke ones go sideways. Obviously never climbed HVS north of Manc!

What would be in the UK top 100?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=778
 FactorXXX 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

There's at least two at Ogmore that should be considered: -

Exposure Explosion: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=35735
Pinocchio: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=33373
 Scott Quinn 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Too many HVS*** knocking around in the lakes... think this list might be mahoosive.

I hate HVS!

Behind the lines - hodge close
 Martin Wing 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Scavenger on Gogarth Main Cliff.
Crucible, Craig Yr Ogof, Cwn Silyn
 CurlyStevo 21 Feb 2014
In reply to scott quinn:

what's wrong with HVS?
 Bob 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

You could halve the number of the Peak ones and still have too many!

Lakes:
Centaur, East Buttress
Yellow Slab, East Buttress
Black Sunday, Esk Buttress
Leopard's Crawl, Dow Crag

One from the North West:
Bald Eagle, Stone Valley Crags
 Hat Dude 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

There's loads in the pass, take your pick from
Spectre
Kaisergebirge Wall
Karwendal Wall
Wind
The Mole
Gollum
Plexus
Diagonal
Western Rib
Black Spring

that's just a selection from 2 crags
 spidermonkey09 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Looning the Tube in the quarries is classic, soft for HVS but it gets E1 on UKC for some reason.
 jim jones 21 Feb 2014
 AlanLittle 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

American Beauty, especially good with the tidal boulder-hop approach rather than copping out by abbing down the route.
 Robert Durran 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Cyclops (Dubh Loch)
Cioch Grooves (Sron na Ciche)
Slochd Wall (Beinn a'Bhuird)
 Max factor 21 Feb 2014
In reply to jim jones:

Mur y Niwl, given HVS in some guides.

Sadly Formula one is no more.

Scott Quinn 21 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

>what's wrong with HVS?

I don't hate HVS some are an absolute joy & you would struggle to beat them climbing at any grade.

-BUT-

I've found it to be such a broad grade.

Easiest HVS in comparison to the hardest HVS seems like much (read much much much) more than your average grade difference.

So if your on-sighting VS with ease and fancy (like I did) trying a HVS, you can easily get the wrong one and bruise your ego...or worse.

As soon as I got onto & above E1 I struggled to find the motivation for most uninspiring HVS routes, I've even found the protection to be much better in the lower E grades (in some cases).

Sand bag grade?
There was a thread on this some time ago.
Post edited at 14:52
 Iain Thow 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

I'd have Centurion at the top of my list, but I see you've got that in already. Hammer at Etive and Front Line in Pembroke ought to be in there, and if you're including Ireland, then Pis Fliuch at Ailladie is a stonker.
 Mark Collins 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Snakes and Ladders and Tunnels, doh!
 thomaspomfrett 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

I'd add the Fang at Tremadog to that list.
 Choss 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

King Kong at Wintours Leap.
 Offwidth 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Thorn, Sunset Slab, OR ( high Tor) wouldnt be on my list for a top 200. You missed Grey Arete.
 Steve Perry 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Don't Think Twice - Latheronwheel
Rapture of the Deep - Mid Clyth
The Hand Traverse - Reiff
Chicken Run - Totegan Geos
Nice Work if You Can Get it - Totegan Geos
Bull's Crack - Heptonstall
Flake Crack - Helsby
The Dogg - Pot Hole Quarry
Post edited at 15:48
 scott titt 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Hell's Kitchen, Fair Head, would go in my top 10.
 John2 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Why does the fact that an HVS goes sideways debar it from your list?

Heart of Darkness and Pigs on the Wing should definitely be in there, as should Joyous Gard.
 John2 21 Feb 2014
In reply to scott titt:

And Burn Up too.
 FactorXXX 21 Feb 2014
In reply to John2:

Why does the fact that an HVS goes sideways debar it from your list?

Don't think the OP is saying that traverses should be omitted, just that the good HVS's in Pembroke tend to involve a bit of sideways action...
 Jonny2vests 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

> King Kong at Wintours Leap.

Not been HVS for a long time, rightly so.

Moonraker at Berry Head is nice.
 mrchewy 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Merlin Direct at Tremadog - got a bit of everything.
 Cake 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G: I think Froggatt only needs Valkyrie and possibly Chequers Buttress, not Sunset slab. Another vote for Brant Direct too. There must be a couple of classy ones at White Ghyll with a knot in?

Wilbur 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

My favourite grade!

Riders on the storm - Pembroke - absolutely THE BEST one i have done.
Moonraker - Berryhead - amazing rock architecture and adventure. The approach is great if you scramble in.
The Fang - Tremadog - memorable top pitch for the leader!
Pluto - Langdale - 3 memorable pitches and great positions.
Route 2 - Diabaig - SPECTACULAR position.
Cemetery Gates - Cromlech, can't be E1?!
West Rib - The Mot, really pleasant and actually decent pro.
Plexus - The Mot, E1 really though. Grit in the mountains!
Meshach - Tremadog, just because it's so fookin ard.
Spectre - Grochan - just for the harding slot.
Brant Direct - Grochan - proper trad.
Scratch arete - tremadog - great fun.
Tritus - Langdale, superb and i had no expectations.
Croton oil on the grit cos it's a bit unique and special.
King Bee Crack on Hollyhead - excellent fight.

Think those are my faves to date...
 Wilbur 21 Feb 2014
In reply to John2:

> Why does the fact that an HVS goes sideways debar it from your list?

> Heart of Darkness and Pigs on the Wing should definitely be in there, as should Joyous Gard.

I think an HVS can go sideways and merit inclusion - see riders on the storm! Heart of darkness was a bit of a let down i thought. only 1 really superb bit when you go round the arete but compared to say Riders on the storm or moonraker it's really quite average...

jim jones 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor:

> Mur y Niwl, given HVS in some guides.

It's still VS though! Great route and position but definitely VS.

In reply to Owen W-G:

Like all these lists virtually every route on it would be in Scotland, if only it would stop raining there and they introduced about a billion bats to sort out the midge problem.

Bludger's Revelation, for example (what is a bludger, btw?)

jcm
 DDDD 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Yes Monraker at Berry Head is fantastic. There are quite a few adventures at Swanage:

Finale Groove
Thunderball
Jo
Behemoth

I don't remember Mercury at Carn Gowla being harder than HVS and what an adventure.
 Neil Adams 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Archdeacon on Mingulay
Inbred on Creag Dubh
If you want something in the central belt, Walk on the Wild Side
 Bulls Crack 21 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> what's wrong with HVS?

Behind the Lines!
 David Bennett 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Iain Thow:
You have taste Sir, I was about to post the same, at least for Centurion. It would be even better if the 3rd and 4th pitches weren't a bit easy. Hammer is great too (without tension on the traverse). In wales I'd go for Diagonal, down south Moonraker.
Post edited at 22:17
 Martin Haworth 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Bullroar
Scavenger
In reply to Steve Perry:

When did Bulls crack make HVS, it's packed with gear and just a couple of moves around the budge? Was std VS back in the day. Mind you thin read line was std E1 too.........
 Sean Kelly 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

I shall my 2pence worth then with an absolute classic....Cloggy Corner! Three stars in any book.
In reply to Martin Haworth:

Yeah, Bullroar too. Although it's better in winter........
 jim jones 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I shall my 2pence worth then with an absolute classic....Cloggy Corner! Three stars in any book.

Even better as a four star E1!
 Steve Perry 21 Feb 2014
In reply to David Bennett:

I bet them were the days
 David Bennett 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

You taking the pi$$? Your profile says you are old enough to have had that fun... Or are you a newby and missed out?

Disclaimer. Far too much red wine......... So might get provocative.....

ps the counter was that things like forked lightening were E4 because cams had not been invented. I can tell you that moacs and hexentrics were a poor substitute...
 Steve Perry 22 Feb 2014

I remember Thin Red Line being E1 in the Yorkshire Gritstone guide aye.
 Al Evans 22 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Like all these lists virtually every route on it would be in Scotland, if only it would stop raining there and they introduced about a billion bats to sort out the midge problem.

> Bludger's Revelation, for example (what is a bludger, btw?)

> jcm

Wasn't Bludger the nickname of someone in the Creagh Dhu ?
 Ciderslider 22 Feb 2014
In reply to DDDD:

Can't speak about the other three (although will hopefully do them soon) but FG is absolutely classic. There's nothing technically hard but it just keeps coming at you - a lot of people would struggle on it if they weren't used to places like Swanage.
 Al Evans 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Personally I think FG is much easier than a lot of VS's at Swanage. But then again I grew up on Peak limestone.
 Al Evans 22 Feb 2014
 Iain Thow 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

How about Immaculate slab on Lundy, really atmospheric and lovely climbing. Also a personal choice would be Fiddlers Arete at Goldsborough Carr, I know it's tiny but it's a little gem.
 Offwidth 22 Feb 2014

Its been HVS since 1989 definitive. Are you Rip van Winkle?
 Phil1919 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

I was told that HVS's are notoriously difficult and that it was best to miss the grade out altogether.
 Offwidth 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
Silly view. Possibly the best grade in that anyone fit, healthy and serious about trad climbing should be able to get good enough to widely enjoy it. Above this, talent, time and and bravery cut options for the majority.
Post edited at 13:45
 Ciderslider 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I would tend to agree with you Al - but it would be a fairly daunting proposition for your average VS leader who hadn't experienced Swanage. I think it's just a very big and sustained VS in an HVS setting - not really that experienced but I don't think there is anything technically harder than 4c - but some of the moves as you get towards the top feel pretty out there, then of course there's the ruckle top out !
 Michael Gordon 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

The Pause
 Bulls Crack 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Still should be VS in my opinion....and I think I speak with some authority here....
 Skip 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:
Outward Bound @ Low man

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=26076
Post edited at 20:53
 martinph78 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:
Seeing as you didn't add my recommendations to your E1 list, I'll just pop one of Northumberlands finest HVS's here:

Blasphemy Wall, Peel Crag

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=42830

If you are having an HVS ticklist you have to include a Northumberland HVS (opted for a soft one).
Post edited at 21:08
 Tom Last 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

No Great North Road?

The best HVS I've done in Cornwall is Waltzing Matilda on Bosigran Ridge, something of a classic already - but might be E1.
 Gripped 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Wilbur:

It lived up to it's name that day!
 Alex the Alex 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Id second Immaculate slab on Lundy, and add American Beauty too! Both brilliant. Also the top of Formula One collapsed a few years ago, and I had a miserable time on the new version... so should probably be removed from the list. Another suggestion would be Angel of Sharkness near Elgol, really atmospheric and lovely steep climbing.
 JimboWizbo 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Flying Buttress Direct
Three Pebble Slab

In reply to Owen W-G:

I don't remember Black Sunday being any good, or anything at all about it for that matter, but Red Edge (E1 really) and Trespasser Groove are etched in my mind as brilliant climbs.

High Crag Buttress is superb.

Trinity on the East Buttress is very good.

I didn't think much to Great Bow on Cloggy and failed to even find Sheaf! Cloggy Corner was a joy though.

Route 2 at Diabeg. Folk rave about this but I don't remember it being anything special.

Same with Riders on a Storm at Pembroke. I thought this was crap. Line less jug pulling. No where near as good as say: Moonraker, Dream of White Horses or Heart of Darkness.

rogerwebb 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Gob
 Jimbo C 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Can't speak much for outside the Peak. Yes, there are too many 'classic' HVSs in the Peak, but if I were to be allowed just one on the list it would be Suicide Wall at Cratcliffe Tor.
 Rog Wilko 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

Some years back I did Great Crack at Dukes Qy, Whatstandwell in the morning and then Original Route on High Tor in the afternoon. One of the best grit routes at HVS followed by one of the best limestone ones.
Here's a random list of some of the most memorable HVSs I've done:
Assassin (Juniper Wall)
Golden Slipper
Britomartis
Saxon (Carn Kenidjack)
John Peel (Dovedale)
Grooves Traverse (Gimmer)
Mandrake (Quayfoot Buttress)
 Tom Valentine 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Ethos at Barcud is one of my favourite Pembroke routes and I would call it a slanting crack, definitely not a traverse.
 EarlyBird 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Ethos is a good call.

With ref to TRip's comments on Riders On The Storm - if by line-less you mean that it is a line that only reveals itself as you climb the route then fair enough, but that is one of the strengths of the route; another is the jug hauling, it opens up an otherwise unlikely line through steep territory. Definitely 3 stars for me. Heart Of Darkness only gets 1 star in the CC guide.

Jon Stewart 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Same with Riders on a Storm at Pembroke. I thought this was crap.

I love that route. I think the situation is wonderful and the climbing - with a tricky crux to get started, perfect jug-hauling, a little tricky move or two and a romp out - is tremendously entertaining.

Heart of Darkness is more spectacular and certainly a 3* route, but it's not actually climbing, just sideways shuffling.
In reply to EarlyBird:

> With ref to TRip's comments on Riders On The Storm - if by line-less you mean that it is a line that only reveals itself as you climb the route then fair enough, but that is one of the strengths of the route; another is the jug hauling, it opens up an otherwise unlikely line through steep territory.

Are talking about the same route? I would have said it crosses a jug-covered slab by one (or more) of literally dozens of possible lines at about the same grade. Pleasant enough but pretty forgettable. I never understand the general enthusiasm for this route. It’s just not remotely in the same class as HoD, or Barad (the best Pembroke HVS IMHO).

jcm

Chris Sansum 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

My favourite HVSs to date, in no particular order:

* Malbogies (Avon Gorge) - Amazing to find a way through such a steep and intimidating face at this grade!
* Pink Wall Traverse (Avon Gorge) - Really unusual climb including Avon's only 'via ferrata' section and a very exposed traverse.
* Hell Gates (Avon Gorge) - A memorable line on great, steep rock and fun to join the 'Hell Gates Club' by signing in at the cave.
* The Sloth (The Roaches) - What other route goes over a roof like that at the grade?
* Rubberneck (the Five Clouds) - Fantastic route which represents the best of gritstone, with a huge variety of climbing in its relatively short length.
* Batchelor's Left-Hand (Hen Cloud) - Some pumpy moves near the start and a relief when you get past them! The whole climb is a really nice line.
* Right Unconquerable (Stanage) - One of the most impressive flakes around!
* Cheetah (Wintour's Leap) - Good rock and bold climbing. Long runouts combined with technical moves. Might have a soft spot for it having had two epics on it as a VS climber (it was graded VS then!) then finally succeeding on it!
 kyaizawa 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Definitely looks short of County sandstone!! And Yorkshire Grit too for that matter. So just a few to get started from what I've done/attempted:

Main Wall, Bowden
Canada Crack, Bowden
Audacity, Corby's
Demon Wall, Almscliffe
 Bulls Crack 26 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Barad - great route. Many easier E1's!
 Wft 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Riders on the storm at Pembroke and Joint Effort at Staden quarry are the stand outs for me
 Choss 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

im gonna Chuck in a couple of Wye Valley single Pitch classic HVSs at Shorn Cliff.

No musketeers.
Organ grinder.

Done the former, pumped out Badly and floundered on the Latter. Both good for the Grade Though.
 Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
In reply to kyaizawa:
> Demon Wall, Almscliffe

1.5*

A micro-route. There are a thousand similar and better micro-routes on grit, which are less polished. The Slipstones HVSs for example, and while they're sweet, no one would pretend that they're national classics.

Of the Almscliffe (and therefore Yorkshire?) HVSs, only Overhanging Groove could hold its own on a proper crag.
Post edited at 10:41
 Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

> Riders on the storm at Pembroke and Joint Effort at Staden quarry are the stand outs for me

That's a bit like saying "my two favourite foods are lobster thermidor and turkey twizzlers". Not wrong as such, just odd!
 Josh Willett 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Midnight Cowboy, Baggy Point
 Bob 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm with you on the Overhanging Groove being the only genuinely decent HVS at Almscliff.

Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Junkyard Angel at Malham. There's also the HVSes on the central slab at Crummackdale - Olympus, Venus and Little Pink Claire. Those four are probably the best of the Yorkshire Limestone HVSes
 Al Evans 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Barad - great route. Many easier E1's!

Yeh agreed, I've done Barad three times just to introduce other people to its delights
 Dave Garnett 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to GuyVG)
>
> [...]
>
> That's a bit like saying "my two favourite foods are lobster thermidor and turkey twizzlers". Not wrong as such, just odd!

Which is which?

More like candy floss and a nice pasty. In that order.
pasbury 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Saxon at kenidjack, everybody always goes on about it being inferior to rock dancer but they're all wrong - the traverse is great.

Conclusion at Shepherds - always loved doing it.

Troutdale pinnacle superdirect - just brilliant.
 The Mole 26 Feb 2014
In reply to kyaizawa:

Could also have Great Wall at Great Wanney and Left Organ Pipe at Crag Lough - now that it is clean it is brilliant
 Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
In reply to pasbury:

> Saxon at kenidjack, everybody always goes on about it being inferior to rock dancer but they're all wrong - the traverse is great.

I think it is inferior to Rock Dancer, as it doesn't have any memorable bits (traverse? can't remember) - but on the other hand it does just climb the face by the most logical line. Either way it's still one of the best HVSs in the country.

Martin Hore 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I think it (Saxon) is inferior to Rock Dancer, as it doesn't have any memorable bits (traverse? can't remember) - but on the other hand it does just climb the face by the most logical line. Either way it's still one of the best HVSs in the country.

Agreed - Rock Dancer is much the better climb if you can climb E1. But if you can't, then Saxon gains hugely in quality from being the only way you can climb a magnificent slab of rock.
 Rick Graham 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob:

> I'm with you on the Overhanging Groove being the only genuinely decent HVS at Almscliff.

Demon Wall and Great Western ??

Is your memory going, Bob?
 Bob 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

Great Western is the most overrated route going - would struggle to get a star on most crags. Demon Wall is a bit non-descript, lots and lots of better routes around.

Memory definitely not on the decline
 Dave Garnett 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to pasbury)
>
> [...]
>
> I think it is inferior to Rock Dancer, as it doesn't have any memorable bits (traverse? can't remember) -

Don't you only really do the traverse to get to the first belay, if you are doing in two pitches? This was the original way but it seems more usual to do it in one now - maybe there's a now a belay at the top, rather than walking up the grass for miles - I don't recall.
 Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob:

> Great Western is the most overrated route going - would struggle to get a star on most crags. Demon Wall is a bit non-descript, lots and lots of better routes around.

Absolutely.

I take it you're not from Yorkshire then? It's amazing what some people can believe if they tell themselves it's true over and over again.
 Robert Durran 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Absolutely.

> It's amazing what some people can believe if they tell themselves it's true over and over again.

Like Left Wall being one of the best HVS's in the UK? (or was that E1?)

Bob 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm a Lancastrian (well it's part of Cumbria now) but have lived on the darker side of the Pennines for about 15 years.

There's some decent routes at Almscliff but there's a lot better elsewhere in Yorkshire (the northern bit not the Peak).
pasbury 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Saxon gains hugely in quality from being the only way you can climb a magnificent slab of rock.

Bang on!

Bulls Crack 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob:

It is over-rated ie starts up another route and then branches off and the easier finish isn't as good as the harder one....but it's still pretty good 2 stars
 Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Like Left Wall being one of the best HVS's in the UK? (or was that E1?)

Neither. You're getting confused with that HVS at Gogarth.
 Wft 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> That's a bit like saying "my two favourite foods are lobster thermidor and turkey twizzlers". Not wrong as such, just odd!

you've just guessed dinner, well done. Joint effort was brilliant, everything I'd want in a trad route.

Steve Clegg 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Sunset Creek ...
Steve
 useful 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

> The Dogg - Pot Hole Quarry

Oh yes, it's a beauty...:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=25772

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...