UKC

NEWS: A New Look for UKClimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Oct 2014
UKC New look - montage, 5 kbAfter months of effort we have just released a completely new design to the web site. The new look is a responsive layout which is aimed at working on cross platform devices like phones and tablets as well as taking account of the larger monitors many people now have.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69231
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Scrolling back down the years shows how much has changed and how much work has been put in along the way.

Another good job by all involved,

Chris
 funsized 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome. Nice job.
 Babika 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Very good article and interesting stats. As a matter of interest, how do you know how people access the site? Tablet or PC/ Android or IOS?

I love the Logbooks info (especially the charts and data) so please don't change it too much
In reply to Babika:

> Very good article and interesting stats. As a matter of interest, how do you know how people access the site? Tablet or PC/ Android or IOS?

They know EVERYTHING!
 The Pylon King 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I prefer the 2002 version.
In reply to Babika:

> Very good article and interesting stats. As a matter of interest, how do you know how people access the site? Tablet or PC/ Android or IOS?

Google Analytics gives us accurate figures for this sort of thing. We have been running it since 2009.

Alan
 noteviljoe 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant I can now view forums on my phone with out the text spilling over the side of the same screen. Ace.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Babika:

To expand on Alan's answer, when you visit a page your browser sends the server (i.e. UKC) a string called a 'user agent', this contains information about the browser you're using. Mine looks like this: 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.124 Safari/537.36'. A lot of the time this also includes information about the platform your on.
 Franco Cookson 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Can we finally have H grades with the new logbooks? E grades are totally out of touch.
 Kimono 14 Oct 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> I prefer the 2002 version.

then can i politely suggest that you don't get into graphic design?
 Bob 14 Oct 2014
In reply to remus:

The user agent string is part of the browser server negotiation and not really used for systems like Google Analytics but server logs will collect this information along with items like the IP address. Google Analytics does slightly more than this - it sets cookies which collect more information about a visit such as the referring page or site, whether the user has visited the site before, how long they spend on the site, plus a whole lot more.
 brianrunner 14 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Works well on my android phone. A nice step forward and well done!
Like!
Brian
 dereke12000 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I liked it before, and think the new layout is an improvement on that
 Shapeshifter 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:
When viewing the home page on my PC, the last week or so I've noticed the main home page panel has gone blank and I can now only access the 5 scrolling articles via the 4 side panels. The rest of the home page links seem fine. It's probably my version of Internet Explorer is too old or something but just thought I'd mention it in case anybody else has the same problem. All seems fine on my iPad.
Post edited at 08:40
 simes303 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Oh no! There's a "Like" button.
 wilkie14c 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

"Of these 59% are Apple iOS devices, which is 21% of all user visits to the site"
"The remaining 1% is Windows tablets and phones"

Titters :-D
In reply to chubbs2:

> ...Internet Explorer...

Those magic words
 The Pylon King 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> then can i politely suggest that you don't get into graphic design?

Ha ha very funny.
 Blake 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

You've got to keep the ball rolling folks - in my opinion, as a UI developer, the time could have been better spent improving other things rather than shoe-horning all that quality crowd-sourced data in to a responsive framework.

The markup is significantly better, but the overall user experience and design has barely been improved. Now you have better markup, I'd like to see some ongoing improvements - 12 years is aeons when talking in web terms.
In reply to chubbs2:

I fixed this issue this morning. I won't be doing much work on the IE8 and less website in the future though.
 Fraser 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:
I generally like the new look, but I'm still having issues when clicking to enlarge a photo in, for example, any article. I get a narrow, central band which is correctly displayed but 45% of the image on both sides of this band is greyed out. The image is still visible beneath this 'mask' but it's very annoying and happens on all such inline photos.

For info, the photo gallery doesn't have this problem.

Edit: hovering the cursor over the forward or back arrows at the side of the image correctly displays that half of the image.
Post edited at 13:48
 Jimbo C 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I like the new look of the site but one gripe that I've just discovered is there are no longer photos on the crag pages. I used to use them to make a quick assessment of the quality of a venue I've not visited before.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

> I like the new look of the site but one gripe that I've just discovered is there are no longer photos on the crag pages. I used to use them to make a quick assessment of the quality of a venue I've not visited before.

They're on the right of the page, next to the top of the routes list.
 Shapeshifter 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks for that
 Ffion Blethyn 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Is it just a new front end on the same forum software? (Or whatever those things are called in computer language..)
I was hoping for a "view first unread post" button for each thread.. As it is you still have to scroll through posts that have been read to get to the new ones.

Sorry to whinge, overall I like the new design, much cleaner looking and easier on tablet and phone.
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

> I was hoping for a "view first unread post" button for each thread.. As it is you still have to scroll through posts that have been read to get to the new ones.

Not if you click the 'Mark as read' button on the My Forums page after you finish a session.

Alan
 Ffion Blethyn 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
 Jimbo C 16 Oct 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> They're on the right of the page, next to the top of the routes list.

So they are. Silly me. Thanks
 Nuddy 16 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

New Website, yeah, but still extreme irritating animated ads
(which personally stop me reading a webpage - I know I'm not the only one with this affliction!)
 DaveR 21 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I'm liking the new look

I was just playing with the new filter function on the logbook. If I filter say, sport climbs, it brings up a page of the latest 50 sport routes. If I then click on the next page button, it shows the next page of my logbook, not the next 50 sport routes. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.
 Steve Perry 23 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Are the photos in the galleries now a lower resolution?
 The Pylon King 23 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Yes it does look good.

The 4 on the photo stars needs a colour though, green?
In reply to Steve Perry:

> Are the photos in the galleries now a lower resolution?

No, that hasn't been changed.

Alan
 RFWilkie 23 Oct 2014

Is there a way to report bugs? I note the new logbook filter function only works for the first page of the logs and resets the sort order. Changing the page or sort order then clears the filter making the new feature pretty useless.
In reply to RFWilkie:

Yes, it is on the Contact Us page linked to from the footer of each UKC page

http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html

Report a bug tab.

Much more useful if people use this page since it is set up to grab extra info from your computer system to help analyse the report.

Alan
 Ffion Blethyn 12 Nov 2014
So is the new ukc just a new look for the same thing that looks like a forum?

I've perhaps been spoilt by a 'go to first unread post' button for each thread, marking the whole forum as read resets all the threads, not just the ones I've read.

(Sorry )
Post edited at 20:03
 Steve nevers 03 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News: Having a problem with the 'New thread' function, can't select the forum, therefore can't post..
In reply to Steve nevers:

What browser/OS are you using please?
 Steve nevers 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH: Fairly crappy outdated safari unfortunately.
 Steve nevers 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Steve nevers: Any potential fix? Need to ask if anyone has info on crags in Portugal ASAP..

> Any potential fix? Need to ask if anyone has info on crags in Portugal ASAP..

Unlikely I'm afraid. Solving conflicts with ancient browsers is incredibly difficult and we aren't able to give it high priority. You are probably better off trying to upgrade your Safari.

Alan
 Steve nevers 04 Dec 2014
> (In reply to Steve nevers)
You are probably better off trying to upgrade your Safari.
>
> Alan

Impossible i'm afraid. Fancy making a thread about crags in Portugal for me please?

Not going to take £3-400 out of my budget for a new computer to make a thread!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 04 Dec 2014

you could always install some firefox or chrome variant, available for most OSes.
 Steve nevers 04 Dec 2014
In reply to remus: I'm on the most outdated P.O.S mac going, can't even buy updates for it anymore! Hence the plan of going to Portugal to heard goats and hopefully climb for a bit!

I sent you an email asking for a fault report and haven't got anything back. If you didn't recieve it please submit a report to here with just 'as per forum post' in the description - http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html#fault

I'll see if it's easy to add the user agent provided by you old browser to the the redirect list so it gets the old website like Internet Explorer 8 and below gets.
 dereke12000 08 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

A quick request - can the speed of the slideshow of news articles on the home page be slowed down? 2 seconds is not long enough to comfortably read the headline beneath the photo before the next story appears...

There's no rush as there's only 5 stories in the carousel and they keep repeating.

Cheers, Derek
 ericinbristol 08 Dec 2014
In reply to dereke12000:

+1 from me
In reply to dereke12000:

That's sorted. Hovering over a thumbnail also pauses the carousel now too.
 Steve nevers 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH: Just upgraded to a new computer, so hopefully my outdated software issues are now a thing of the past.

Nice!
 dereke12000 08 Dec 2014

another second would be better - I don't read particularly slowly but it still seems like a rush. Try reading each caption...
 jon 08 Dec 2014
In reply to dereke12000:

Seems more like five seconds to me. You can stop it too by hovering the mouse over it.
 dereke12000 09 Dec 2014
In reply to jon:

It was 2 seconds, the UKC designers have just kindly increased it to 4 seconds (thank you), I was suggesting 1 more second so you don't have to move the mouse to finish reading.
 neilwiltshire 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Do the "Like" and "Dislike" buttons actually do anything? Other than turn green when you hit them?
 Andy2 17 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Minor fault I'm getting:
When I look at another user's profile, specifically their ticklists, there's a link called "...list all n ticklists"
When I click on that, I get their wishlist.

Windows 8.1, Firefox 34.0.5
In reply to Andy2:

Sorted that thanks.
 FactorXXX 18 Dec 2014

Another minor problem: -

If you are on a 'Ticklist' page and click on the User Name of the person who contributed it, it displays your own Profile page.
Windows 7, using both IE11 and Chrome 39.0.2171.95.
 digby 18 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Another request. Reinstate the 'visited' state for forum topics links
In reply to FactorXXX:

Thanks, fixed that.
In reply to digby:
Nothing has changed regarding this, it never recorded whether you'd viewed a thread or not. It only shows red icons if there's new replies since you last logged in.

...or last clicked on Mark Read on the My Forums page.
Post edited at 13:25
 Andy2 18 Dec 2014

> Sorted that thanks.

Apparently not.

I now get "Page not found

The page "/logbook/showticklists.html?id=xxxxx" was not found on this server. "

I've tried this for a couple of users and get the same thing.

In reply to Andy2:

Doh, copy & paste error. Should've been /logbook/showticklists.php not /logbook/showticklists.html
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2014

It isn't an error but the wording in the logbooks crag view is a bit odd:

GREEN TICK = These are the climbs you've climbed clean.
BLUE TICK = These are the climbs you've climbed by seconding or top-roping.

Most of the route I second are climbed "clean" - not sure why the Green Tick doesn't say "These are the climbs you've led".

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> It isn't an error but the wording in the logbooks crag view is a bit odd:

> GREEN TICK = These are the climbs you've climbed clean.

> BLUE TICK = These are the climbs you've climbed by seconding or top-roping.

> Most of the route I second are climbed "clean" - not sure why the Green Tick doesn't say "These are the climbs you've led".

I think I'd go for about four colours of tick:

GREEN – Led cleanly on sight.
BLUE – Led having previously seconded or practised it in some way.
PURPLE – Seconded or top-roped without weighting the rope.
RED – Either led or seconded, but rested on the rope or cheated in some other way (e.g. used aid) i.e. not really a proper ascent, but you got up it.

Only applies to trad climbing really. I suppose a sport climb led cleanly where the bolts are very spaced would qualify for GREEN, but where they're very close together, as on a climbing wall, YELLOW, perhaps.

In reply to Chris Craggs:

Tweaked that text:

GREEN TICK = These are the climbs you've led or soloed clean.
BLUE TICK = These are the climbs you've seconded or top-roped clean.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

No Indigo and Violet?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2014

Now that's what I call service!

Cheers,

Chris

Fredt 18 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

GREEN – Led cleanly on sight.
BLUE – Led having previously seconded or practised it in some way.
PURPLE – Seconded or top-roped without weighting the rope.
RED – Either led or seconded, but rested on the rope or cheated in some other way (e.g. used aid) i.e. not really a proper ascent, but you got up it.
YELLOW - Finally led it after several attempts
BROWN - Led after several falls
MAUVE- Led or seconded but can't be certain you kept on the route
OCHRE - Led or seconded but can't be certain it wasn't a different route entirely
PINK - Led it for the seventeenth time this year
VIOLET - Dragged up it as a second
BEIGE - Led it but second couldn't get gear out, or seconded and ditto
ORANGE - I think I've done it before but I can't remember
CREAM - A guy in the pub told me all the beta
LEMON - A guy in the pub told me all the beta but he was thinking of a different route
JASMINE - I didn't really do it, but I've logged it anyway

Coel Hellier 18 Dec 2014

I think we need a special colour tick for those ticking "Red and Yellow and Pink and Green, Orange and Purple and Blue" on the slate!

In reply to Coel Hellier:

Very good
 digby 18 Dec 2014
That's odd. Pre update, viewed links were a different colour in my Safari on a Mac!

I just went to the wayback site to check. A visited link in the list of recent topics most definitely is a different colour.
Post edited at 19:43
 stp 18 Dec 2014
In reply to neilwiltshire:

> Do the "Like" and "Dislike" buttons actually do anything? Other than turn green when you hit them?

Good question, something I was wondering too.

Anyone know the answer?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2014
In reply to stp:

I believe (and Paul may correct me) that it's used for moderating only at this point. Too many 'dislikes' will flag the post for a moderator to check. The like button is a possible future implementation.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 22 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Just a couple of minor bits:

The photo of the week hasn't been updated for two weeks. I believe paulh.0776 should have received it this week.

Also the 'top 10 galleries on site' displayed at: http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/top10s.html is incorrect. When you click on 'list all photo galleries: at http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/authors.html?sortby=ranking the list is then correct.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...