UKC

NEWS: Fri Night Vid: 'When' by James Dunn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Jan 2013
'When' by James DUnn - Eddir Barbour climbing, 5 kbThis week's excellent Friday Nighter is from James Dunn.

The film, which features mountain biking, running and climbing is a look at 'When' people with full time jobs fit in their passions.

The climber is Eddie Barbour and we loved his philosophy on life - girls, eating and getting ill! Excellent!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67764

Adam Lincoln 25 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Great Vid James!

Whats the trail the guy does on the bike?
 neil the weak 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: It's at innerleithen. We'll go there on the very next ride.
 Jack Frost 25 Jan 2013

Great effort James. A lot of work has gone into that video.

Enthusiasm = Ability this time
 Adam Lincoln 25 Jan 2013
In reply to neil the weak:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) It's at innerleithen. We'll go there on the very next ride.
Some of it was the stuff ive ridden but didnt recognize some of it.... secret stuff?
 neil the weak 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Not very secret, but not on the standard trail centre loop either. I'll draw you a proper map if you stick your head in next time you're passing.
 Fraser 26 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Very nice video - well shot and edited. Great work!
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Go Pauline!
In reply to UKC News: Great video! Really enjoyed watching that. =o)
 neil the weak 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: Pauline "mother of four, full time worker, ultra runner, climber, mountaineer, movie star and general supermum" Kell, as she shall now be know.
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neil the weak:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) Pauline "mother of four, full time worker, ultra runner, climber, mountaineer, movie star and general supermum" Kell, as she shall now be known.

Indeed. I shall no longer feel worthy enough to come into the shop and buy anything from her.

john yates 26 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Brilliant little film and shows the levels of commitment people give to their chosen sport - thanks.
 Bobling 26 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent film, cheers. I watched it with my other half next to me and it added context to the eternal "Can I have a pass to go climbing please?" debate.
 James Dunn 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Jack Frost: thanks Jack! It did take quite a while to shoot and edit, so glad you enjoyed it.

Aha, an old blipper!? Still blipping? Send me your link, would be good to have a browse - I haven't been in there in ages, just lost the motivation and was working so blips were turning very repetitive!

I think it might have been enthusiasm < ability though, from waning enthusiasm towards the end as I was tight on deadline!
 James Dunn 27 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: thanks for the other comments too, super glad that people enjoyed it, makes it all the easier to get psyched for the next project!
 Toerag 27 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: sea cliff sport? Where's that?
 James Dunn 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Toerag: outside Aberdeen, details here; http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10092

Or check out the new Scottish sport guide that just came out recently, it's supposed to be an excellent guide;
http://www.7amax.co.uk/
 Geoboy 27 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: "Avoid going out and avoid women, just frik'n train all the time... If you feel you're missing out just train harder" Talk about committed!
 paulipauli 27 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Please could everyone who liked the film vote for James on the Fort William Mountain Film Festival (link below) to make up for my embarrassment at being on the home page of UKC in my running gear!

Thank you so much.

P

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=217977771672158&id=168...

andybenham 28 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Brilliant video, rings very true, especially the runner (Pauline?). Having a young family and a growing addiction to running long distances I could really relate to that. All in all though very well put together with some nice edits and beautiful scenic shots, plus three very like-able characters each juggling their daily commitments.

This reminds me of something I read somewhere which basically says the first thing you have to do when you have a goal you want to achieve is list the things you will give up in order to get there. Could be time, could be chocolate or a night in front of the telly, there will always be something and most reasons people (me included) give for not achieving is down to a conscious or unconscious decision not to make the sacrifice (after watching this can you REALLY say you just don't have the time!?)

Good effort James, you got my vote, keep up the good work
 Robert Durran 28 Jan 2013
In reply to andybenham:
> (In reply to UKC News) Brilliant video, rings very true, especially the runner (Pauline?). Having a young family and a growing addiction to running long distances I could really relate to that.

Isn't running what mountaineers take up once they have a young family? A run can be squeezed into a short time any time of day or night, whereas mountaineering doesn't really work like that!
 andybenham 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to andybenham)
> [...]
>
> Isn't running what mountaineers take up once they have a young family?

Exactly! I can head out early and be home, completely destroyed, shortly after breakfast. Climbing on the other hand is a day out and subsequently much harder to arrange.
 James Dunn 28 Jan 2013
In reply to andybenham: Thanks for the kind comments and vote Andy, much appreciated, really glad you could relate to it and enjoyed it on both a personal and videographic level.

I agree with your comments, I can't recall where I read it either though, but it was a similar argument and very true!

Thanks again
 Tom Last 28 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed that. Proper job!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...