UKC

Broken talus: Updated...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xbraddersx 02 Apr 2015

Continued from : http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=606546 which has now been archived.

The reason I'm posting a new thread is because when I originally injured myself, I spent hours on the internet reading about people's injuries, and to be honest very few gave the final outcome and it meant that I didn't know what happened to the person.

So - given the all clear to start walking at end of January, driving within 2 weeks, cycling/swimming/walking without pain within a month. Started indoor bouldering again beginning of March. Took it easy for the first few weeks and now I'm comfortable falling again, and back at my previous level (today I did my first V4/5 at the wall since injured!)

The outcome - I have a lot of scar tissue, which may take a while to break down. I've lost a small amount of mobility and quite a lot of strength. I'm hoping climbing will help with some of these, as well as the exercises from the physiotherapy. Running is still a no-go and I've been told may never return to previous ability (English National Schools cross country, but oh well, I hated it anyway )

Thanks for all of your advice. Bit nervous about going outside (I was never much for outdoors, even before) but I've taken a bigger role in the university society next year so will be heading out more often!
Post edited at 23:17
 jogh 04 Apr 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

It's good that you are recovering so quickly as I'm still in cast and none weight bearing 8 months after breaking mine!
OP xbraddersx 04 Apr 2015
In reply to jogh:

Ouch. I think it depends on where the break happened, but I think its a bit uncertain anyway I fractured my talar dome, which appears to be a better place to fracture it...
In reply to couldxbe:

I think you're going to be just fine.....

I broke mine almost 30 years ago; I spent a year on crutches, took five years to recover as far as I could and now get up most mornings with a stiff ankle. It hasn't stopped me doing much, as - like you - I was almost glad to give up distance running.

There have been a number of similar threads in the last couple of years where people have given long-term outcomes and some pretty sound advice. There have even been debates on the fusion topic, with surprising opinions being put forwards. Shouldn't be hard to find.

But as I say, yours is obviously healing well. And quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...