UKC

A week cycling in January

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 10 Sep 2018

Hi

where would you go road cycling for a week mid January? Based in Newcastle so that time is not the best here! 

I am not tempted by Majorca or Gran Canaria. 

Thanks 

avi 

Yanis Nayu 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Dr Avinash Aujayeb:

You’ve ruled out the two best places as far as I can see! Girona, Calpe?

Dom Connaway 10 Sep 2018

La Gomera. Mellow climbs; fantastic descents; jaw-dropping scenery; very friendly people and minimal tourism so very quiet. 

Two or three days will take in the main routes but there's enough riding to last a week, even if you are keen. Great walking as well.

If you need advice on routes let me know.

ClimberEd 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> You’ve ruled out the two best places as far as I can see! Girona, Calpe?

This.

nniff 10 Sep 2018

What do you want? Long rolling rides, hills?

Tenerife is good for the soul.  All year high mountains.

Barbados is different and hilly, and hot, but not euro-tarmac compliant

Girona is a good call - 100 pro-riders live there for a reason.

Toby_W 10 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

Just come back from Girona, I can see why lots of pros live there, rolling quite roads with short to huge hills scattered around and the Pyrenees withing striking distance.  Had a wonderful day riding along the med into France and then back over the hills to Girona.

Wine and food is very good too and cheap.

Cheers

Toby

Y Gribin 10 Sep 2018

> Hi

> I am not tempted by Majorca or Gran Canaria. 

> avi 

Why?

I went to Gran Canaria last Feb and it was fantastic. Some great places to stay once you get away from the package tours (which is easy to do), smooth rides, good hills and beautiful riding......much less crowded with bikes than Majorca. 

Dr Avinash Aujayeb 11 Sep 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Great replies. Thanks. Need to do some research now. 

Majorca is too busy with cyclists. Gran Canaria is nice but I am looking for shortish rides morning and afternoon with plenty of time for the wife and baby in the middle. 

Post edited at 08:29
 PaulW 11 Sep 2018

Just got back from the place. Perhaps not as warm as Gran Canaria but I thought it was lovely. Mix of riding in rural France.

https://hiddenhouse34.com/about/

johnjohn 11 Sep 2018

Lanzarotte is good for shorter road rides (unlike Gran Canaria there's no decent mtb I've been able to find. There some nice hour or so loops on the north of the island (which is quiet and a cool place to visit anyway) and good hire in Costa Teguise. Smooth roads, laid back drivers (unlike Gran Canaria which can be much busier close to Las Palmas than the other islands). And surf. Shame about the mtb but I think I've just talked myself into going back. 

Post edited at 18:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...