UKC

Anyone repaired a Garmin edge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 02 Oct 2023

After nine years of sterling service, the buttons on my Garmin Edge 500 have started to perish, so presumably it isn't going to be waterproof anymore and needs mending. Has anyone done this?

I've found some buttons on ebay but they don't look like the ones they are to replace...

Any suggestions on either sources of buttons or alternatives would be appreciated 

Ta, GTE

thebigeasy 18 Oct 2023
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

I've replaced a battery on an 820. It was like taking a mobile phone apart which is usually difficult to get the bonded screen off. Then just fiddly internals.

I managed to get the thing back together fine and worked for a number of months until I was out in some heavy rain. Turns out I didn't glue the screen back on correctly as got some water ingress.

You could see if a local phone repair shop would be willing to have a try.

Schmiken 19 Oct 2023

In all honesty, you are better off contacting Garmin and getting a refurbished unit (which will be like new) from them. It'll cost you no more than about £80.

I've done these three times with a Garmin Edge 800 and a Garmin Edge 820 (both of which I broke in separate crashes) and a Garmin Instinct Solar (replaced under warranty). Garmin's customer support couldn't have been more helpful and efficient.

peppermill 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Schmiken:

Seconded, definitely worth contacting Garmin before getting the screwdrivers out as they tend to be very very helpful.

In reply to peppermill:

The replacement buttons are just some fella bodging something with his 3D printer. Functional but not actually waterproof, so no actual imprudent on what I already had.

In the end, I spent a few quid on some waterproof PVA and gave it several coats to make sure no water can get in. Not tested it in a downpour yet, but the forecast for the next week looks promising!

I'll try to keep it going a little longer, but will no doubt eventually upgrade. Goodness knows which one I should choose though, the choice is baffling 

Refurbished unit sounds promising. Something to look into.

GTE

Garmin also do (or at least used to do) an upgrade discount if you want to go for a new device. It was a bit convoluted but you had to contact them first, perhaps fill out a form, buy new unit from them, then send in your old unit and once they receive it they send you the new item at the discounted price.

nniff 21 Oct 2023

I upgraded my Garmin by buying a Wahoo to replace it.  I got so heartily sick of it not working, going in strike half way around a route and generally being a complete PITA

alibrightman 22 Oct 2023
In reply to nniff:

> I upgraded my Garmin by buying a Wahoo to replace it.  I got so heartily sick of it not working, going in strike half way around a route and generally being a complete PITA

Which model?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...