UKC

Bike washer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone use a portable bike washer and would recommend it? Standalone or powered by vehicle 12v socket. A search suggests Mobi, Karcher and Worx are main options all with pros and cons.

Mobi I read are actually no longer made so could be a problem if anything goes wrong. Karcher has a small tank, so maybe the Worx is better?

Thinking about one to take with me to get rid of the worst of dirt after some wet mtb rides, so appreciate any comments as to which if any is worth it.

Thanks.

ceri 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

We have a mobi. Also the battery pack so can be totally stand alone. Great for bikes and dogs. Runs out when trying to wash a whole car. 

tjin 07 Jun 2018

I like the Karcher. Small and light self contained unit, filled it;'s lighter then the empty mobi I think. Got a foldable bladder to refill it if needed, refilling is not really a issue.

Alan Breck 07 Jun 2018

Got the Karcher. Used it since it was introduced. Cleans the bike no problem and it doesn't blast the bike bearings as normal pressure washers are prone to do. 

balmybaldwin 07 Jun 2018

Especially good if you transport your mtb inside your car.

Think mine's a mobi. Had it 10 years or so. It does leak a bit from the filler cap now if it sloshes around too much as I lost a seal

alisonk 08 Jun 2018

After having owned several Mobis and them all either dying or leaking I now love my Worx.  I bought another larger battery for it and its had a lot of use washing CX bikes last winter.  I usually carry a large water container to drop the hose into, but I've also taken the small squashable smaller containers for MTB. 

The smaller battery easily lasts long enough to wash 2 very muddy CX bikes.  Another advantage of the Worx is that it takes up hardly any space and if you are going somewhere that you know has a tap then its pretty easy to just take a squashable container and go and fill it up. 

In reply to All:

Thanks for comments. 

As it (and the bike) will be carried in a car, I’m thinking I will look further at both the Karcher and the Worx due to size, rather than Mobi which seems large, to me, for the intended use. Really like the all in one small compact size of the Karcher, and can always get a top up container if necessary, but the Worx does looks good spec wise.

LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2018

I use a HozeLock one similar to the link below that I got from Halfords for about £10. Good for getting the worst off about 2 bikes and never runs out of battery

https://www.screwfix.com/p/green-pressure-sprayer-7ltr/51100

GeorgeR 08 Jun 2018

I use a pump Garden sprayer for Homebase. Cost about a tenner, more than enough water to clean a bike.

Dax H 08 Jun 2018
In reply to GeorgeR:

I also use a pump sprayer, works just fine and very little to go wrong. 

Jon Greengrass 08 Jun 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

+1 for the garden pump sprayer.

tjin 08 Jun 2018

I used a garden pump sprayer for years and I can assure those that use a garden sprayer, that an actual bike washer is far quicker and more efficient in cleaning. 

Yes, they are expensive, but just look for deals. The Worx seems to be on sale a lot (i generally see the entire Worx line up on sale). The Karcher is a bit harder to get on sale, but got mine for less than half the price.

Post edited at 14:41
 Henry Iddon 08 Jun 2018

I've a Karcher as well - great bit of kit. If I know it's going to be particularly muddy I take some extra water to refill it. It's such a neat unit size wise.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Well that is a surprise. I’ve used similar sprayers for many years, but given their weak pressure I never thought to try on a bike! 

As a few on here are using them I’ll need to have a test to see if they can cope with Scottish muck and mud. Still tempted by the Karcher though .

LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2018

They're not perfect, but a bit of fiddling with the pressure valve and a mate to pump while you spray to keep pressure up will do the job without forcing muck into the bearings.

jay101 05 Jul 2018

I am using Karcher, still working great after 6 month.

check this guide for comparison

https://rebrand.ly/best-mobile-bike-washer

Post edited at 08:26
 rubertm 05 Jul 2018

I'm thinking of getting the Aqua2go PRO Smart Pressure Cleaner since I heard good things about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...