UKC

Crown race problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baz P 03 Jan 2024

Help! Replacing forks on my MTB but the taper on the steering tubes are different. Both tubes are 1 1/8” but the new taper at the bottom is 1 9/16” (40mm) while the old taper is 1 3/16 (30mm). 
All crown races for sale are sold as 1 1/8” or 1.5” which in both cases is 1/16” smaller than the actual dia of my tapers. 
Can anyone shed any light before I visit the bike shop?

Mark Storey 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Baz P:

Have a route around the Hope PFD:

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

Should be what you need in there somewhere.

a crap climber 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Baz P:

You need a 1.5" crown race, assuming an appropriate one is available. Depending on the headset you might need a whole new rather than just a crown race (assuming of course that the frame has a suitable head tube size).

The new fork has a '1 1/8 to 1.5 tapered' steerer tube, generally just referred to as 'tapered', which means it's 1 1/8th at the top where the stem clamps but at the crow race it's the equivalent of a 1.5" steerer. In this case 'tapered' is a specific size of steerer.

You can also get 1 1/8th straight, 1 1/4 straight and 1.5 straight, with the last two being very rare (I think there are some other odd sizes which are even rarer).

1 1/8th straight is an old (in mtb terms) standard and tapered is pretty much the norm now except on lower end bikes. 1 1/8th straight will be what your old fork has.

The size refers to the diameter at the top race/stem clamping area. All steerers, even those referred to as 'straight' flare out slightly where the crown race fits. It's a tight interference fit so if it was the same size for the whole length you'd struggle to get the crown race on or off.

To add further complication there are even more headtube standards, with lots of headset sizes to provide compatibility with the various different steerers and head tubes. If you're already aware of these then fair enough, but if not you'll need to check whether you can actually fit the new fork and whether a new crown race is all that's needed. Crown races are specific to a particular model of headset and aren't a generic interchangeable part. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know, if you're not sure the easiest thing would be to take some pictures of the headset or perhaps just go to the bike shop.

OP Baz P 04 Jan 2024
In reply to a crap climber:

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I knew nothing of headsets so your information was all new to me. 
I called at a bike shop today and he confirmed that the situation with headset bearings was a nightmare with things like different face angles and widths. Much like the situation with mech hangers, with which I am familiar. .

It turns out that what I thought was the crown race was in fact an adapter to cope with the difference in diameters between the almost straight steerer tube and the actual bearing in the headset. This is original from the manufacturer Cube. 
I have now removed the complete bottom bearing housing from the headset and will try to get a complete lower bearing with crown race to fit the new fork which is a RockShox Recon  

One again, thank you for the detailed reply

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...