UKC

Does Tubeless ready imply pretaped?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NorthernGoat 07 Oct 2023

Hi all,

If you purchased a set of wheels described as tubeless ready would you expect them to be taped already? 

Thanks,

Matt

Rampart 07 Oct 2023
In reply to NorthernGoat:

I'd expect that to mean the strength/tolerances are designed with tubeless in mind. 

(All the wheels I've ever had need taping regardless of tubes/tubeless)

AgentOrange76 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Rampart:

Tubeless ready wheels refers to the bead interface - not that its ready to be set up out the box.

Tubeless wheels have no holes/spoke nipples visable and so just need the tyre and sealant added 

In reply to NorthernGoat:

But they should have tape in - yes, that's pretty standard.. Whether it's suitable to set up tubeless you will only find out when you set them up tubeless

In reply to AgentOrange76:

Thats not entirely true! I've had 2 x sets of wheels over the last few years that were 'tubeless ready' which had spoke nipples visible, but fine with tape.

iani 07 Oct 2023
In reply to NorthernGoat: my experience with Stans Rims for MTB 6 yrs ago (rims sold as tubeless) was that the tape on the rim as sold wasn’t wide enough to provide a seal, and I had to replace the as-sold tape with wider after market tape.  Then tubeless worked fine. 

The Trek rims I had were fine without modification. If you are new into MTB tubeless there’s an art to learn and possibly quite a lot of faff until you’ve proficient…

TheGeneralist 07 Oct 2023

Blummin roadies...

Post edited at 21:43
 AgentOrange76 09 Oct 2023
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

It is entirely true.

Tubeless Ready is purely about the interface between bead and rim. I didnt say that the nipples wouldnt be visible - they will be on all Tubeless ready wheels.

Tubeless wheels all have hidden spoke holes for want of a better term - the internal area of the rim is sealed. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...