UKC

first sportive, too ambitious?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 williemiller 23 Sep 2012
So I have bought myself a road bike and would like to do a sportive. I have my eye on the wiggle south downs event on 21/10 but the problem is this. I have not actually ridden the bike yet as I bought it and left the country the next day. I will be back in the UK 4/10 giving me just 2 1/2 weeks to prepare having never ridden a road bike before. I am used to riding mtb and am fine with 3 hours in the saddle at a time and would consider myself to be generally reasonably fit.
I would like to attempt the standard 75 mile route, is this unrealistic with such a short time to train/get used to the bike? Should I scale back my ambitions and try the fun 45 mile route?
 Enty 23 Sep 2012
In reply to williemiller:

If you have 2 1/2 weeks to get used to it can't you decide which distance to ride closer to the event?

E
 TobyA 23 Sep 2012
In reply to williemiller: If you are used to riding 3 hrs non-stop MTBing, I reckon you'll be fine. I did 200 kms for my first Sportive! Get out on your bike a few times before so that you get the saddle position right and get a feeling for riding on drop bars etc. but as long as you're not expecting to break some record, I don't see any reason why you can't head out and ride 75 miles. Even if you don't have a mate to start with you'll probably soon find others who are going at your sort of pace then you can ride as a group.
Talius Brute 23 Sep 2012

You should be fine. Make sure you eat right on the ride.

..and make sure you eat really well in the 48 hrs before the event. Evening meal the night before go for a really good quality carb main course and then something like a nice fruit crumble with custard or ice cream for pud. Gets loads in the tank for you first 30 miles or so if you also have a good breakfast.
 stonemaster 23 Sep 2012
In reply to williemiller: No problemo, unless you are trying to win in record time. Good luck.
 stonemaster 23 Sep 2012
In reply to La Shamster: Well said. Carbo loading is the go.
 TobyA 23 Sep 2012
In reply to williemiller: If you are new to riding in big groups just take it easy and pay lots of attention. When I'm riding on my own I often take snaps or video clips on my phone, check twitter (we have lots of empty cycle paths round here! , eat, etc. etc. I'm happy taking off/adding layers whilst riding no handed etc. But when riding a sportive and sticking in a big group, I noticed even getting my jelly beans out of my pocket needed thought because so often you have touch your brakes as the group around you slows or moves to go round a pothole etc. A number of near misses for the group came from people dropping their bottles for example.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...