UKC

HUEL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lee birtwistle 25 Oct 2017
Has anybody tried Huel?
I might give this ago but wondered if anybody has any good / bad views about this.
I eat healthily but could do with a boost for the extra miles I'm putting in training for a cycle tour.

Ta
 toad 25 Oct 2017
In reply to lee birtwistle:

I believe there was some research by Professor David Gorman on the subject
 Si_G 25 Oct 2017
In reply to toad:

Folk at work tried it. “Boring and mank”.
Real food has to be better, surely?
 dilatory 25 Oct 2017

It's great for a quick lunch etc to get nutrients in, breakfast in a hurry etc. I wouldn't bother for cycling. You're better off with raisin nutrigrain bars etc on the move.

You shouldn't need anything extra. Post ride a chocolate milkshake or some cereal or an omelette etc.
 Richhowells 06 Nov 2017

I'm a fan. Use it if I'm hitting the wall straight after work and don't have time to eat a decent meal to sustain me. I find it digests quickly and easily, which is ideal when I'm tying in 30 minutes after having had some. It definitely helps power me through a 3 hour gym session, so that's great.

It's an acquired taste which takes a little while to get used to, but I found using really cold water and throwing in a little instant coffee makes it quite enjoyable.
 DaveHK 06 Nov 2017

It's made from people.
In reply to DaveHK:

Yum Yum
Soylent Green
 Sealwife 07 Nov 2017

Haven't tried it. A food like substance that sounds like someone being sick doesn't really sell itself to me.
 Neil Williams 07 Nov 2017
Eating is a pleasurable experience, I don't think I ever met anyone who didn't think it was - we are biologically programmed to seek food and enjoy eating it. By and large, eating more calorific foods is more pleasant than less calorific ones.
Just eat more/higher calorific foods and enjoy doing so.

Never seen any point in it whatsoever. If you don't have time even to eat a sandwich, for all the minute or two that takes, you need to seriously look at your life in my view.
Post edited at 15:27
 Neil Williams 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Richhowells:

> I'm a fan. Use it if I'm hitting the wall straight after work and don't have time to eat a decent meal to sustain me.

Surely a sandwich or wrap would take the same amount of time as chugging that garbage and actually, you know, taste nice?
 Sharp 08 Nov 2017
I've been using it for my lunches this year and it's been a pretty positive experience. I was quite sceptical about it at first, I love food and cooking and especially eating and the whole thing seemed like a bit of a shit way to eat but it's worked for me and I'm happy to put my effort into eating a nice evening meal during the week and chug the huel during the day - it tastes ok normally and really nice if you flavour it. If you have the choice between a tasty healthy meal and a bottle of huel of course the former wins out in terms of enjoyment but most people use it to supplement their diet when they don't have the time to make/eat something healthy.

If you're looking for a boost in your calories to make up for the extra training you're doing then it's worth giving it a go, it's a pretty easy way to add some balanced extra food into your diet. Realistically you can make it up with 2 to 5 scoops depending on your preference, 2 is very thin, 5 is very thick. It's about 150 calories a scoop. You can flavour it with their flavours or with something of your own if you don't like the taste, a scoop of cocoa powder and it just tastes like chocolate milk shake.

Neil - If you get up for work early in the morning, get back late at night and then have to go out and do exercise then making a healthy and calorie rich lunch the night before means either spending a lot of money buying healthy premade stuff, a lot of time preparing food or just eating cheap crap. Any option is fine if that's what you want. If you want your lunch to provide you with, for example, 1500 calories of good quality, ethically sourced food then a 2 minute sandwich can very quickly turn into a lot of shopping and making lunches - fresh fruit, veg, protein sourced from fish, chicken, eggs etc. consumed regularly throughout the day. All needs buying, keeping, preparing before you even get to the stage of finding 2 minutes to throw it all down your throat. Huel is quick, cheap and provides as many or as few calories as you need, balanced, minimal packaging, zero fuss, no shopping. It's effortless and I don't see any reason why someone who consumes Huel should have to seriously look at their life any more than someone who sits down to have a sandwich/crisps/fruit/choccie bar combo for their lunch. Each to their own. As for garbage, what an odd thing to say. Do you even know what's in it? I take it you have tasted it so you know what it tastes like?
Post edited at 13:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...