UKC

New bike- what am i paying for here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 14 Jan 2018

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-rm02-105-2017-road-bike-EV27788...

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bianchi-Aria-Disc-105-2018-Road-Bike_111897.htm

keen on either of those. People say for that price I should be getting at least ultegra specs. am i paying for the make? or better carbon? 

keen for thoughts if anyone has those bikes

felt 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

Yes, I'd be expecting Ultegra on a 2k bike, but I'd also be expecting Campag on a Bianchi...

Dark-Cloud 14 Jan 2018

Bianchi always commands a price, I don’t get the BMC thing, never liked the look of them, but you are right, for £2k you should be looking for Ultegra, for instance....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-1-disc-2018

Post edited at 09:44
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I already have a giant advanced defy with ultegra. left it abroad to use! so in the market for a new one. The bianchi bikes look beautiful

Sam W 14 Jan 2018

I wouldn't get too hung up on groupsets, in use it's hard to tell the difference between 105 and Ultegra, but obviously you still want to get good value.  When looking around for a new bike on a similar budget to you at the start of 2017 I specifically kept my eyes open for bikes with better frames and wheels, but a lower spec groupset.  My thinking was that frames are very difficult to upgrade, wheels are easy but expensive to upgrade and a groupset is easy to upgrade if you really want to. In the end a friendly LBS were more than happy to accommodate by upgrading the wheels on a previous season bike.

On the bikes you have specifically mentioned, have you seen this review?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/bmc-roadmach...

They talk about a great frame, but do raise a question mark over value for money.  Second what was mentioned above, Bianchi always command a premium because of the name, only real benefit is that they tend to have higher second hand value too.

My final advice is that while getting the right hardware is important, having a bike that fits properly is paramount, your choice of bike shop (and hence fitting advice) is at least as important as the choice of bike.

Dark-Cloud 14 Jan 2018

If you want stunning looking over components then go for it !

The Bianchi would be a decent machine regardless.

I have one of these in order, not here until March though as Shimano have an issue (apparently).....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-pro-0-disc-2018

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I guess one of my issues is that there is too much choice! I agree I am an average rider who will not notice 105/ultegra difference

Bogwalloper 14 Jan 2018

Dolan Rebus Dura-Ace with Cosmic Carbon wheels - £2600

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-rebus-ca...

In reply to Bogwalloper:

I would be afraid that it would break on the terrible roads of Northumbeland ( where I cycle)

wbo 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Sam W:I guess the reduction on the BMC brings the v.f.m. Back in line.  As the one BMC I've ridden was really good and the Bianchis only ok I'd buy that.  

andymac 14 Jan 2018

Rose bikes are where it's at.

I have a Scott which was £3k .

and I wouldn't pay for a 'name' again

dunirie 14 Jan 2018

if £2500 is around your budget, buy a bike at £1500

spend the rest on wheels

Siward 14 Jan 2018

Bianchi premium. A  modern Bianchi with a sexy groupset (say Chorus) will cost you north of £3K if not nearer 4. Some say that's because the frames are darned good and that's where the money goes.

I'm very happy with my Bianchi/Athena combo which is bottom level campy but haven't persuaded myself yet that I should upgrade to a better groupset. Mind you I bought it nearly new at about two thirds discount, which is the way to buy IMHO.

BMC no idea

Yanis Nayu 14 Jan 2018

An extract from the Secret Pro on Cycling Tips:

For example, in the beginning of this year Astana was riding Vision wheels, but then suddenly changed back to Corima. Why? The brand probably uses the name “Vision” only because you’re going so slow on those wheels that you can enjoy all the views for longer. Did you know Powerbars turn to rocks when it gets a bit cold? Good luck trying to eat them while racing the classics. Some glasses make your eyes water like crazy, like they’re funnelling wind into your eyeballs. As for the bikes themselves, the common knowledge is that Specialized, Trek, Canyon, and BMC are a step above everyone else. Sure Giant, Bianchi, Cervelo, and Pinarello are great, but when it comes down to millimetres, a brilliant bike can make all the difference.

Dark-Cloud 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What a load of crap, apart from the power bar bit !

old article but gives you an idea of manufacturers, design may vary but not much else....

http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

Post edited at 16:19
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> What a load of crap, apart from the power bar bit !

> old article but gives you an idea of manufacturers, design may vary but not much else....

This...

Don't know why the OP thinks they would break the Dolan. Though I have a bias (own two - Preffisio and Tuono SL). Excellent pedigree and many a pro has ridden them. Tough enough for the crap that goes as roads round Sheffield.

Post edited at 16:52
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

I guess I think the roads are so rough around here with many potholes. I have ridden abroad quite a lot always on smooth tarmac, which I hope to see one day in UK

Oh and I want disc brakes. So the dolan is out (just had a look at the website)

Post edited at 17:43

> I guess I think the roads are so rough around here with many potholes. I have ridden abroad quite a lot always on smooth tarmac, which I hope to see one day in UK

> Oh and I want disc brakes. So the dolan is out (just had a look at the website)

I wouldn't worry about rough roads breaking frames. Wheels can go pop but you'd have to really go some to snap a frame.

Dolan do the DR1 (from memory). Not trying to persuade you one way or another. You have to be happy with what you're riding. Emotion is hard to measure.

Have fun choosing. 

kevin stephens 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Another vote for Dolan, great range of frame sizes and customisation to get an accurate fit, great quality frames at none stupid prices and ability to spec your own parts (especially wheels!) rather than upgrade the "value engineered" components on the big brand bikes.  My Tuono would take some breaking on local Sheffield roads)

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-dr1-carb...

boriselbrus 14 Jan 2018

It's worth looking at Pauls Cycles.  There is some good stuff on there with big discounts such as a Cannondale CAAD12 with full Ultra discounted from £2k to £1450.  Pauls are great to deal with as well.

gethin_allen 14 Jan 2018

Have a look at this link and see what you think about the quality of bmc carbon frame layup.

youtube.com/watch?v=3_7yQSRIGSo&

Having watched it I wouldn't buy one

PhilRobinson 19 Feb 2018
In reply to Dr Avinash Aujayeb:

go on Sigma sports have some great bikes Cervelo and cannondale with 35-45% off with disc brakes 

GrahamD 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Dr Avinash Aujayeb:

At the end of the day you have to go with a bike you have fallen in love with.  Its a lot more than just about specs.  Even a few years ago 105 was pretty much the groupset to aspire to and no one except some rich people went for Ultegra.  Now 105 is better than ever and better than Ultegra was back then, but all of a sudden people think they 'need' Ultegra.

Mate of mine (who is currently burning me off completely) went the other way.  He's spent a few grand on a Willier frame, has updated his wheels for some flash deep section rims but because he was on a budget just went for Sora drivetrain.  He's happy enough with that set up and its certainly not stopping him on the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...