UKC

New road bike needed. Recommendations please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonybhoy 03 Jun 2018

I currently have a Ribble Stealth but want to move onto a faster, lighter road bike. Training rides are 15-50 miles, weekly mileage 125-175. I’ve ridden a few 100 mile Sportives. 

So far I’ve looked at Giant Propels, Ribble R872, Mekk Poggios. Budget would be £2500-£3000.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. 

Run_Ross_Run 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Orbea orca. 

I have the entry model full carbon with ultegra and its great.  Paid 1800 for it last year so you could get a higher spec carbon with dura ace for your budget.

Nice ride and super fast. 

abr1966 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

A lot in our club have Canyon bikes and rate them highly....lots of them around though and with a healthy budget like that you could get something that's a bit less common! I rode a Canyon aeroad for a bit last year, it was good but I'm now riding a Planet x RT57 with some nice wheels on it and its a fraction of the cost compared to the Canyon and I prefer it...

kevin stephens 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Dolan Tuono with Ultegra and you choice of wheels, alternatively Merlin Nitro, great deal on Dura Ace 9100 and again your choice of wheels. Both are better value  than the big brands and very light   I'm guessing you're based in Sheffield?  Call in to Langsett Cycles - they may be able to give you a good deal on  Ridley Helium 

JimR 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I've just bought a second hand Cervelo R5 with Mavic COSMIC PRO CARBON SL T wheelset, Qrings and Rotor powermeter for exactly your budget. I'm thrilled with the purchase.

Edit: HAve you considered a wheelset upgrade? Maybe get more benefit from spending your dosh on better wheels than a new bike?

Post edited at 19:25
 quirky 03 Jun 2018
In reply to JimR:

I am selling a lovely De Rosa idol with Di2 (sorry for blatant hijack) 

In reply to kevin stephens:

And don't forget, the perfect bargain that doesn't fit you perfectly is a crap bike

SebCa 03 Jun 2018
In reply to abr1966:

I would second Canyon!

I know a few ribble customers who have had issues with frames. 

I currently am a Cannondale man but come then revolution I will probably make the change to Canyon most likely the Aeroad. 

Sam W 03 Jun 2018

> And don't forget, the perfect bargain that doesn't fit you perfectly is a crap bike

I'd second this. Was looking for a bike at a similar price point to you, and covering similar mileage. Ended up with a Scott Foil which I'm very happy with, but the key factor in buying it was finding a shop that I trusted to do the fitting correctly, and who were able to offer test rides on a couple of options

xyz 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

For all round riding it’s hard to better the Cannondale Super Six. For blatant speed on rolling parcour the Orbea Orca Aero is the business 

Post edited at 20:13
 webbo 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Orbea orca. 

> I have the entry model full carbon with ultegra and its great.  Paid 1800 for it last year so you could get a higher spec carbon with dura ace for your budget.

> Nice ride and super fast. 

Great bikes however if you get one  just hope you never need to claim on the warranty.

In reply to Tonybhoy:

Hmmm

Looking at this review you may be disappointed in the benefits that a flashy new bike may give you

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-ribble-st...

Depending on what groupset it has.  You may be better spending money on new wheels, Assos shorts, better shoes/pedals and if you don't have one a Garmin 510 or similar, try out riding with a local club (some are more supportive to newbies than others)  Good luck and enjoy!

OP Tonybhoy 04 Jun 2018
In reply to abr1966:I’ll have a look at both. Many thanks for the reply.

OP Tonybhoy 04 Jun 2018

im in Lincoln so not too far from Sheffield. I’ll have a look at those, sounds ideal, thanks.

OP Tonybhoy 04 Jun 2018
In reply to JimR:

I’ve been looking at a wheel set upgrade also. A set of Hunt Aeros tick the boxes for me. The Ribble needs a repair where the rear wheel inserts into the hanger, it’s worn so the wheel rides off centre.

i appreciate that would only be a couple of hundred but a newer bike, a few kg lighter and with upgrades to the groupset and wheels (to what I have at the moment) might be worth the big outlay initially for the longevity of having a new bike.

OP Tonybhoy 04 Jun 2018

A fab review and that was what prompted me to buy one, second hand though. I think the frame is tired and a bit worn now. It would still make a good training bike. 7 years down the line there are better and lighter bikes out there that will help me achieve what I want to do.

kevin stephens 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy: Fair comment, particularly if the rear dropouts are knackered, also with a new bike with a good groupset will be better value than buying groupset separately.  Dolan and Merlin are we based.  The Ridley Helium is discontinued so may get a good deal by shopping around

Yanis Nayu 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I’ve got a Canyon Aeroad - it’s an amazing bike. There’s  reason they’re so popular with racers. 

ianstevens 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

As many others have said, get a Canyon Ultimate or Aeroroad, depending on which you prefer! I live in quite a hilly area so went for the former, around this time last year. Was £2.3k (Di2 Ultegra), sold the standard wheels (for £250) and got some deeper section ones (Mavic Cosmics) at the cost of an extra ~100g (and £650, but minus the £250 sits in the middle of your budget). Bike weighs in at a slither over 7 kg and is fast and fun to ride  

chiroshi 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Don't get an aero bike (i.e. Propel). If you're only riding 125-175 miles a week, any aero bike will just be for show. If you're set on carbon, then as others have said, Canyon is a good bet to get a decent set of components for the price. 

If you're not racing, then have a look at a handmade steel frame. There are a few framebuilders now (Field and Isen are two that I know of) that are doing "off the shelf" frames at pretty reasonable prices. Then you have something far more unique, more comfortable, more practical and with a rad paint scheme rather than the standard black + accent colour.

OP Tonybhoy 04 Jun 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Ian, where did you buy the Ultimate from?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...