UKC

Paris Roubaix this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 05 Apr 2018

Conditions look hellish... looks like we are in for a classic Hell of the North

https://www.teamsky.com/article/russ-ellis-roubaix-recon-gallery?utm_source...

Anyone know if Sagan is riding... cyclocross skills maybe useful!

Yanis Nayu 05 Apr 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I’m blocking the day out for it. 

Wyn 05 Apr 2018

At long last, a wet P-R. 

Dark-Cloud 05 Apr 2018

Sagan ? Yes he was doing recon today, or with the CX reference did you mean Stybar ?

OP balmybaldwin 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

No I mean Sagan...he rides cross country I suppose not cyclocross, just generally musing that those with top notch bike handling skills will be less likely to fall

Dark-Cloud 05 Apr 2018

OK, looks like he’s riding, PR is 50/50 skill and luck !

abr1966 05 Apr 2018

I'm going with Terpstra and if not him Stybar. I rode a few cobble sections tonight on my ride.....its so hard! God knows how they manage it as the only way for me is to ride hard and hit big watts but I was on a few sections of a couple of hundred metres.....not numerous miles! Got a selection of Belgian beers ready for the tv and sofa!

NorthernGrit 05 Apr 2018

Could be good conditions for Wout Van Aert. He was impressive at Flanders.

Hugo First 06 Apr 2018
In reply to NorthernGrit:

A second vote for Wout.

If he does manage to win it, it would surely be one of the most impressive victories given the transition from 'cross, 1 hour of racing, to 6+ hours against the top road men in the world.....

GrahamD 06 Apr 2018

I've only ever ridden a couple of sectors and my teeth are still rattling a year later !  Hats off to anyone who just gets round at race speed, let alone wins.  As always a tough call but on current form, perm any one from the Quickstep team would be my guess.

Chris the Tall 06 Apr 2018

I believe the forecast is for it to be dry on Sunday, but it's been such a wet spring that how dry the cobbles are is another matter. Really amused to see how many riders had to push up the Koppenberg last week - I had no problems when I rode up it last year, which just goes to show how different it can be when wet.

Quick Step are on an amazing run at the moment and I reckon it will continue with either Gilbert or Stybar. Given the way he's worked for the others I reckon Phil Gil has made this his main target, but it's just a question of who makes the crucial break. I can see Gilbert and Terpstra getting reeled in a few times and then Stybar getting away. 

Sagan may be the favourite but I suspect it will be another frustrating day for him. GVA seems to be way below his level of last year and I'd say it's too soon for Van Aert - isn't this the only race that no one has one on their debut (not even Mercx!) ?  

Chris the Tall 06 Apr 2018
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Ride in the morning, then settle down with a bottle of Kwaremount. Yes I know it's the wrong beer but I was busy last Sunday !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...