UKC

Perception differences between TCR Pro and Advanced

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave B 31 Oct 2023

Anyone tried both the TCR Advanced Pro AND the TCR Advanced. The latest ones on sale both have carbon steerers, so the difference in the *frame* is the Overdrive or Overdrive 2 headset... If you have ridden both did you notice any benefit from the larger headset.

For the price of the Advanced Pro with Ultegra 11 speed, you can get the Advanced with Ultegra Di2 12 speed AND a set of nice enough (hooked) carbon rims (rather than the hookless). No power meter on the cheaper one, but I have Assiomas to go on, and possibly slightly heavier components.

Other thoughts about Di2 vs cable (the other choice is a 105 Pro cable 12 speed...)

Want to go from my rim brake bike to Discs (All my other bikes are discs, but 11 speed).  

Any other bikes which are as good and in stock?

compost 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Dave B:

When buying bikes there's a point every time where I'm juggling options and choices and price points and get blinded by which is technically "better". If I'm honest, when I'm riding them, I can't tell the difference.

When I get to that point in the decision process the only thing that really matters is which one I like the most and therefore which one is going to get me out riding when the weather is grotty and I could otherwise sit on the sofa. It's fundamentally an emotional decision, dressed up as a technical one.

Which would you turn your head and look at if someone rode past on it?

OP Dave B 31 Oct 2023
In reply to compost:

> When I get to that point in the decision process the only thing that really matters is which one I like the most and therefore which one is going to get me out riding when the weather is grotty and I could otherwise sit on the sofa. It's fundamentally an emotional decision, dressed up as a technical one.

This is a summer bike, so not grotty weather to ride in

Wise words. Thanks for the reality check. I love my Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8, so perhaps I should just stick with that Disc brakes and carbon wheels though...

compost 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Dave B:

Summer where you live must be different to mine :-D

You're swapping a £3k bike for a £3k bike with different brakes and wheels? How many times have you ever been underbraked on your current bike? Maybe spend 1/3 of your budget on some amazing wheels for your current bike?

Uluru 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Dave B:

After needing all too regular changes to the gear cable on my Liv Langma I would go with Di2 for this reason alone! 

I would probably avoid a Liv (so effectively a Giant manufactured bike) as I've heard from the 2 mechanics I used for work which I cannot do ( or don't want to do) on my bike that Giant are meddling with items such as headset bearings which make them a pain to source more cheaply. 

Also agree with Compost in just getting a really nice set of wheels as an alternative. I

OP Dave B 31 Oct 2023
In reply to compost:

Id be swapping rim brakes for disc brakes. Carbon wheels with rim brakes aren't for me. 

It was 2000 when I bought it

OP Dave B 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Dave B:

I'm under braked on the hoods. Which has led to a few close calls on the narrow country lane descents locally where horseboxes fill the road and the verge.

if it does rain when I'm out I would like to stop... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...