UKC

Road Bike Q: is 'Pinnacle' a good brand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Katy Nelson 23 Sep 2010
Just a simplei question really, looking to buy a road bike, is 'Pinnacle' a respected make?

Thanks
 wilding 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Katy Nelson:

Most frames are made in taiwan these days. In fact the same manufacturer makes the frames for multiple companies. So there is little difference between makes in terms of build quality. Kind of sad really. I think cannondale still make stuff in the US, at least for some of their bikes.
 TobyA 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Katy Nelson: I think Pinnacle is Evans' own brand and make some really nice bike. My 6 year old got a Pinnacle kid mtn bike and he's nearly done 200 kms on it with no problems at all (I'm very proud as you can guess!).
 nniff 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Katy Nelson:

Is Pinnacle not Evans' own brand? Make of that what you will.
I do know someone who has had a major issue with a Pinnacle carbon frame, which was sorry tale of woe.
Wrongfoot 23 Sep 2010
In reply to nniff:

Evans' "own brand" frame. Consider that Evans are pretty well recommended for customer service and warranty stuff and that makes like Planet X/On-One Ribble, and numerous other respected marques use similar/identical "own brand" frames. All frames are built to price/quality points even those from "heritage marques" but very rarely have serious issues with modern QC and I think you can probably depend on good service in the unlikely event that you end up with a ringer. The ride differences between similarly priced alloy frames tends to be negligible, reviewers are very experienced and often pick on really small differences in ride quality.

IMO there is no reason to avoid them at all. You might prefer the look and kudos of another brand though and if that will make you happy as an owner then that's fine.

I nearly got one for the girlfriend because of the better Tiagra groupset at the price. Sadly we incurred some unforseen costs and decided to stick with her hybrid for another year... If I were a rich man... sigh.
OP Katy Nelson 24 Sep 2010
Thanks very much for your replies, very helpful
In reply to Katy Nelson:

Just been on Evans site. The geometry of the rear triangle on the Carbon model does bear a striking resemblance to my Ribble Gran Fondo. Evans discount price for that model is a penny under a grand ( at the list price of £1499 it was never going to compete), whereas the 105 equipped Ribble is about £1070 (the Campag equipped model is £960).

You pays your money ........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...