UKC

Triathlon Bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning , 

I've always been tempted to get a road bike , I mainly mountain bike , however I've always been put off by the cost.

Through a random encounter with a friend of the family I've arranged to buy a triathlon bike as well as a road bike that's set up for tt racing.   There so much of a bargain that I can't turn them down.

It's going to be a education in how they are set up and the mechanics and part differences, but I'm really looking forward to getting some miles in as another part of my overall fitness and well being regime. 

I could well be asking questions about the topic.

All so out of the blue and very excited about it.   

TWS

subtle 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Nice one.

I was a MTB'r, got fed up commuting on it, bought a second hand cheap roadbike, within 6 months bought a full carbon road bike and have been road munching for the last 10 years or so - still MTB but now also road and CX bike as well which is a great combo 

Good luck with the new pass times. 

Triathlon specific bikes can have quite extreme geometry. Basically built for speed, with you hunched over almost flat in the tri bars. Some can have smaller wheels too. I had one years ago when I used to do triathlons and it wasn't much fun to ride if i'm honest.. The saddle is often more directly over the pedals than a road bike as well.

Have you ridden it? , just be aware they are not really designed for going out on a weekend for a good few hours munching miles and hills.

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Triathlon specific bikes can have quite extreme geometry. Basically built for speed, with you hunched over almost flat in the tri bars. Some can have smaller wheels too. I had one years ago when I used to do triathlons and it wasn't much fun to ride if i'm honest.. The saddle is often more directly over the pedals than a road bike as well.

> Have you ridden it? , just be aware they are not really designed for going out on a weekend for a good few hours munching miles and hills.

Oh I'm fully aware of that, I researched them before saying I'd have them .

I've sat on for height and feel but not ridden it. They guy who owns them is similar height to me 

If I find it not for me I'll just sell them and get one that is suitable or pocket the money .  It's win win 

Post edited at 09:15
 ianstevens 12 Dec 2019

Personally I’d de-TT the road bike, and use the “tri” bike for TTs. When you say the road bike is set up for TTS what do you mean? That it has clip-on aero bars? What set-up do you have on the tri bike? Rear disc, deep front etc with a proper one-piece handlebar with extensions I’m guessing? 

IMHO unless you are going to race there is little point in having a TT/Tri specific bike. Fun to ride as they’re so quick, but can only really enjoy them in nice weather. I had both for a bit but stopped doing TTS for various reasons, so shipped the TT bike.

Regardless, it’s all good fun. Enjoy!

In reply to ianstevens:

> Personally I’d de-TT the road bike, and use the “tri” bike for TTs. When you say the road bike is set up for TTS what do you mean? That it has clip-on aero bars?

Yes

>What set-up do you have on the tri bike? Rear disc, deep front etc with a proper one-piece handlebar with extensions I’m guessing? 

Older cantilever brakes it's a 2008 model bike.

> IMHO unless you are going to race there is little point in having a TT/Tri specific bike.

Paying next to nothing for them both so I can't loose.

>Fun to ride as they’re so quick, but can only really enjoy them in nice weather. I plan to only ride in nice weather on these things.

> Regardless, it’s all good fun. Enjoy!

Thanks 

Post edited at 09:20
 ClimberEd 12 Dec 2019

That's great!

As has been said, no point in a 'TT' road bike and a tri bike. Have one as a road bike and one as a TT/tri bike. 

There is some geometry related stuff ,but in a nutshell the tri bike will allow you to get your body into a more aero position than on the road bike. There isn't a lot more to it than that (unless you start spending $$$) - the person is the biggest aero component of all. So have one set for comfort and one for speed.

Enjoy.

Just watch out with taking a Tri bike on a winding course. On the derwent duathlon last year there were a few 'offs' as the Tri bikes couldn't cope with the sharp corners

As you have two bikes you have the ideal position of choosing the most appropriate bike for the course. I.e. I am jealous!

JimR 12 Dec 2019
In reply to get to the punchline:

I've actually got two tt/tri bikes Bought a cannondale slice and then my mate was getting rid of his wife's unused Orbea Ora. My comments would be that its very important to get the right size, the right size is smaller than road bike size and get the fitting right otherwise its going to be uncomfortable and sub optimal. The shifters (if manual) are on the tri bar ends and the brakes are on the handle bars so you've got to get used to that and if you are on the tri bars its going to be a lot slower to execute an emergency stop. Apart from that they are great. I reckon on a 30 mile ride the Slice (great bike) is about 1.5 mph faster than my Cervello R5 ... which is no slouch! I'm still setting up the Orbea properly but I suspect it will be slower than the slice.You will need advice on setting the TT bike up or have a long slow painful learning curve

r0b 12 Dec 2019
In reply to get to the punchline:

It's not the bikes that couldn't cope with the corners, it's the riders.

ianstevens 12 Dec 2019

> Yes

Cool cool, as others have said it'll be more fun if you ditch the aerobars on the road bike.

> Older cantilever brakes it's a 2008 model bike.

Oh I meant the wheel rather than the brakes - assumed you'd be on rim brakes given the second hand nature!

> Paying next to nothing for them both so I can't loose.

> >Fun to ride as they’re so quick, but can only really enjoy them in nice weather. I plan to only ride in nice weather on these things.

Good times. What bikes are they?

GrahamD 12 Dec 2019

Mrs D loves her tri bike. The more extreme aero position really works for her 

In reply to ianstevens:

> Cool cool, as others have said it'll be more fun if you ditch the aerobars on the road bike.

I probably will be.

> Good times. What bikes are they?

One is a Giant Aeryn (which I know is a womans model) however this doesn't seam to be of a big problem from what I've read on tri bike forums.  It's more about the fit and the guy I'm buying from is a big bike enthusiast who upgraded.

The other is I'm not sure until further inspection.  A Raleigh , not sure about the model.  One of his older bikes again that he offered for next to nothing thrown in with the other. 

I'll have them tomorrow to evaluate and play with .

TWS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...