UKC

Turbo trainer apps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 12 Sep 2023

Does anyone know of any apps for smart trainers which don’t require a subscription? All I want is some basic plans (or the ability to create my own) and the power readout overlaid a la trainer road or watt bike.. but to me that’s not worth paying monthly for. I wouldn’t mind paying a one off, but I don’t use it enough to justify £15/mo!!

Jon Greengrass 12 Sep 2023
In reply to minimike:

You can create workouts and plans on a free TrainingPeaks account. You can sync trainingpeaks workouts to the Wahoo Fitness smartphone app to ride them,  or the freemium Version of Wahoo RGT if you want immersive graphics.

OP minimike 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Oooh, good knowledge! Thankyou

RedFive 12 Sep 2023
In reply to minimike:

Mywoosh has big Middle East money behind it so is free and seem to be pushed everywhere. Eg they are now sponsors of UCI e cycle which used to be Zwift. 

https://www.mywhoosh.com/

i haven’t tried it as I subscribe to Zwift (which I was a sceptic for years but a convert now). 

TrainerRoad etc never kept me on the bike long enough whereas I spend (too many) hours on Zwift as it draws you in with lots of clever features. We’ll worth the money if you have a smart trainer. 

Mywoosh is free though - let me know what you think of it! 

bridgstarr 12 Sep 2023
In reply to minimike:

MyWhoosh is a good shout, I've been trying it out for a few weeks now and it seems to work pretty well. Golden Cheetah is a good one, if you're happy to just stare at data rather than virtual worlds.

OP minimike 13 Sep 2023
In reply to bridgstarr:

Thanks. Data is fine. I tend to listen to music or podcasts anyway so the virtual world stuff doesn’t do much for me

Dave B 13 Sep 2023
In reply to minimike:

Do you have a head unit (bike computer)? If so, I tend to use GCN training videos for short workouts. They all work by RPE, and I set the computer on the mode that increases effort by gear and speed according to a curve. Good for 20-30 mins, not great for longer.

Obviously not a structured programme though.

Post edited at 10:24
In reply to RedFive:

agree re zwift sucking you in... I had to get every route badge, every cycling achievement, every mission...then the buggers come up with new ones just as I thought I had completed it lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...