UKC

XC bikepacking tyres query

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 The Potato 01 Mar 2024

I'm looking for opinions on narrow tyres for bikepacking, either 29x2.0 or 2.1 width at most. 

I've got a pair of Conti cross king tyres that I'm thinking of using, but also have a pair of Kenda honey badger XC.

Terrain will be mostly hardpack or rocky, few bits of road, and UK summer, so could be wet or dry but not likely muddy.

A friend suggested Vittoria mezcal but I've read it's only really for dry hardpack.

Any thoughts on my existing tyres or any others?

bobbyspangles 01 Mar 2024
In reply to The Potato:

I've not ridden the tyres you have but I am running a mezcal/barzo combo.

They're great tyres, you're right some folks say they're only good on hardpack but I find they're pretty good in the slop too plus they shed quickly.

The only thing I'd say that goes against them for bikepacking is that they come up with big. 

Post edited at 21:26
OP The Potato 04 Mar 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Anybody else?

Robbo1 04 Mar 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Not massively helpful but just to confirm the Mezcal recommendation (2.25inch for me). The wife runs Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge, which are within your width range. She really likes them. Expensive though...

Phil79 04 Mar 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Last summer I rode the King Alfred way (probably 70-80% off road, mainly bridleways, some single track and sandy sections) on Panaracer Gravel Kings (1.9 I think) on my aging gravel/cx bike. 

Very fast rolling and seem pretty tough, but I'm glad it stayed dry, as they would probably be rubbish in the mud!

These Vittoria Mezcals look like a good halfway house. 

LastBoyScout 04 Mar 2024
In reply to The Potato:

When I last went cycle touring on MTB, 2 of us were on Cross Kings and 2 on Race Kings. Was mostly dry.

Can't comment on the Race Kings, but thought my rear Cross King was more worn than I would have expected/liked at the end, given the mileage.

In reply to The Potato:

I used cross and mtn kings years ago and liked them a lot. currently have some mezcal's which are equally good. I think it mainly depends where you plan to bike pack. For example if it was fairly standard variable it doesn't particularly matter. But if it was really rocky for example I'd make sure the tyre wasn't too lightweight given the extra weight. Equally if a bog / mud tour I would stay away from the cross kings... I think Mezcal's are very adaptable and would be fine for most stuff. 

greg_may_ 04 Mar 2024
In reply to The Potato:

I'm going to reccommend Vittoria Saguaros having ridden a pair for the entirety of the Tour Divide a few years ago. Fast rolling, plenty grip, come in a variety of sizes.

Other go to tyre for me are Maxxis Ikons.

OP The Potato 04 Mar 2024
In reply to greg_may_:

Thanks, I've got a larger ikon, don't find it so good in the wet though.

Looks like the smallest saguaro is 2.25

I really don't mind how much the cross king wears, it's not an expensive tyre (puregrip version).

Yes good point about rocky, the kendas are about 590g vs Conti 710g so will feel more confident

Positive things about the Mezcal thanks!

Post edited at 22:28

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...