UKC

Best bouldering in Cairngorms/northern Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adam.brink 27 Jan 2020

If you had to pick, what would you say are the 3 best bouldering areas in the Cairngorms/northern Scotland?

gaz.marshall 27 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

Hmm, you're pretty limited for choice in the Cairngorms and the best 3 areas in northern Scotland are definately not in the Cairngorms! (Infact, I wouldn't say the Cairngorms were in the north).

But, in no particular order by 3 favourite areas would be Torridon, the Ullapool area (Reiff in Woods, Ardmair, Rhue etc) and the Kishorn/Applecross area. 

My favourite stuff close to (but not in) the Cairngorms would be the stuff around Laggan.

OP adam.brink 27 Jan 2020
In reply to gaz.marshall:

Got ya! Yes, the areas you mention are farther north than the Cairngorms. Let me rephrase my questions. What do you think is the best bouldering in the chunk of Scotland in and around the Cairngorms? 

gaz.marshall 27 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

I lived in Aviemore for about 4 years and in that time spent most of it driving away from the Cairngorms if I was going bouldering. The best 'local-ish' spots are the various venues in Strathnairn just south of Inverness (Ruthven, Farr, Brin etc), the Moray coast (Cummingston, Primrose Bay) and the stuff round Laggan. There's some really good stuff in all those areas and they're all within an hour or so drive from Aviemore. 

There is stuff closer to the Cairngorms (e.g. Burnside, the Link Road boulder) but they're really only of local interest. Worth knowing about if you live there but not worth travelling for. 

I see that there's a few things on Deeside mentioned in the latest Boulder Scotland guide but don't know anything about them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...