UKC

Best kept secret areas of Fontainbleau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 28 Mar 2002
The excellent Font website - Bleau.Direttissima has reported problems with erosion which is likely to result in some areas at Font being closed in the future.

For those heading off today for some bank holiday bouldering, can anyone suggest quiet areas, away from the crowds?
 Doug 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:
But then they'd likely be overun by hoards of Brits.

Anyone wanting to find somewhere quiet only needs to look at the Cosiroc or the Stephen Gough guides to find any nimber of possilities.

Don't know where I'll go on Sunday & Monday but it won't be Bas Cuvier or Rocher Canon.
daveP 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: I've just come back from there and everywhere we went we very busy with people from all over europe and america - Very good atmosphere actually, only spoilt by the occasional arrogant brit. The only place we found quiet was the far ends of Cuisiniere and Isatis, but to be honest the crouds were not half the problem i imagined. Great.
 Adam Lincoln 28 Mar 2002
Gorge De Chat(sp?)

Wont be as busy as other places.

Fantastic 7b+ there
Simon Cox 28 Mar 2002

Try La Padole - this place deffinitely needs MORE traffic - just finding the boulders is hard enough, but take as many pads as you can and some "alert" spotters...
 Paul Boardman 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
> Gorge De Chat(sp?)
>
> Wont be as busy as other places.

Do you recon that's because the OTE guide doesn't list any problems for it? It's a really nice area & very easy to get to. When I went there two weeks ago we were the only people climbing.

> Fantastic 7b+ there

Couldn't touch that one. But most of the red problems there were really pleasing.

Paul Boardman 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Simon Cox:

> Try La Padole - <snip>

Scary scary scary!

Adam Lincoln 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Paul Boardman:

We were there about 3 weeks ago, and didnt bump into anyone there. Its was on last day so didnt climb, but yes, some of the red problems look absolutley amazing!
Luc 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Some of the finest places I have climbed in the forest have been devoid of climbers (even at weekends and during the holidays). Try:

Petit Bois
Le Bois Rond
Beauvais (all of it)
Rocher Fin
Buthiers

Just to name but a few. There's enough climbing to keep everyone happy however hard you climb.
Luc 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Luc:

The other place I forgot is Appremont Bizons. You can climb there smug in the knowledge that 100m away the main part of Appremont is overrun with climbers.

The Envers D'Appremont can be quite as can Le Desert too..
Luc 28 Mar 2002
In reply to Luc:

Forgot also Gorge De Houx and Franchard Sablons
Huffy 28 Mar 2002
Rocher Greau is AMAZING!
Located near to Petit Bois, The french boys are developing the area like crazy at the moment, still loads of problems to do across a spectrum of grades. Also many well established problems, all quality and all unpolished.

Happy hunting,

Huffy
OP Tom Briggs 02 Apr 2002
In reply to Luc:

Busy on the campsite, but not too bad on the crags. Hot and sunny. Went to mainly Trois Pignons areas:

Sabot
JA Martin (sic)
Rocher Fin
Potala Valle de le Mee
Bois Rond
Rocher Canon

Bois Rond is an excellent area with a very good red circuit. The blue and orange circuits looked v good also - my favourite place of the weekend. Couldn't find Gros Sablons (!) - does anyone else reckon the Godoffe guide maps are terrible?

It's not just the Godoffe guide, Gros Sablon is impossible to find without the proper map. It's well worth tracking down though Tom.
Steve Gough 02 Apr 2002
In reply to midgets of the world unite:

Sorry but a sort of gauntlet has been thrown down here. Has anybody here failed to find the Gros Sablons using the maps in my guide? I made a special effort for the Gros Sablon because I struggled to find it the first time I went there...

Steve

In reply to Steve Gough:

I did, twice. Maybe it's just me though....
Totalpunter 02 Apr 2002
Canche aux merciers is good and was quiet when we went.

I found it very useful to buy the large scale map of the forest. You can get them from the monoprix supermarket in Fontainebleau town centre.
steve again 02 Apr 2002
In reply to midgets of the world unite:
> (In reply to Steve Gough)
>
> I did, twice. Maybe it's just me though....

Yeh you must've misread it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...