UKC

best month for bouldering in the peak district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 10 Jan 2024

whats the best time of year for intermediate bouldering in the peak district?

mrphilipoldham 10 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

Every month is good, if the weather treats you right. 

deacondeacon 10 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

There's three days in Spring and another three days in autumn  when it's perfect conditions. Just between 'too wet & cold' and 'too hot & midgie'. All the other 359 days aren't worth it and you should probably just head Indoors lol

MelvinWaggg 10 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

For a particular crag you can look at it's stats to see popularity throughout the year. For example https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/stanage_plantation-101/#stats. Graphs will be approximately the same for crags with the same rock type.

In general you want it to be cold and not humid and not raining recently but good days can happen any time of year in the UK.

midgen 10 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

This weekend looks spot on for the grit.

Dry for a few days prior. Cold but sunny. Low winds. 

Post edited at 15:19
 ebdon 10 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

Best conditions (when dry): winter

Most reliable conditions: Spring and Autumn

Jim blackford 10 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

May 

planetmarshall 10 Jan 2024
In reply to midgen:

> This weekend looks spot on for the grit.

> Dry for a few days prior. Cold but sunny. Low winds. 

...and 95% humidity

Offwidth 10 Jan 2024
In reply to planetmarshall:

High humidity is normal when air temps are just above zero. Doesn't stop conditions being excellent in winter at times, especially if the sun is out.

planetmarshall 11 Jan 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

> High humidity is normal when air temps are just above zero. Doesn't stop conditions being excellent in winter at times, especially if the sun is out.

Sure, but "High" in those conditions is about 60-70%, as is forecast for Monday (currently) in Hathersage. Good day to get out if you're free!

ChrisBrooke 11 Jan 2024

Well spotted. Flipping cold, but sunshine and relatively low humidity could make for a good day. I think I’ll save myself for then. 

Cake 11 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

March, April, September and October are usually best. For colder conditions, February can be better than the months before because there is more sunlight (stay out longer) and sometimes that means more time to dry out

Offwidth 11 Jan 2024

I guess my point is humidity readings seem irrelevant just above freezing on sunny rock. I guess the air is heated from the rock and so the relative humidity will be a good bit lower than forecasts indicate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...