UKC

Cae du tidal access? Best times?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 08 Aug 2020

Cae Du

Heading to cae du this week to have a look at the boulders.

Anyone know the best time of day to go to avoid tides?

Topo just says accessible 10 out of 12 hrs?

Luke01 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Obi Wan:

Google tide charts, it changes every day. If it's accessible 10 out of 12 hours then just avoid the 2 hours around high tide. 

OP Obi Wan 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Luke01:

Oh, yeah that makes sense.

You can tell I'm from the country and not used to the coast. 😊

Jon Stewart 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Obi Wan:

I remember it being a lot more tidal than 10 out of 12h, more like mid-low tide. 

OP Obi Wan 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hmm, what time of day did you go?

Jon Stewart 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Obi Wan:

> Hmm, what time of day did you go?

That's not really relevant! You need a tide timetable. I was there for a weekend camping with non climbing mates, I remember going bouldering when the tide went out, and stopping when it came in. It was definitely not a 10h session! 

OP Obi Wan 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> That's not really relevant! 

I realise now how dim my question was. 

I'm really not normally so thicky stupid! 

Tired.

Sl@te Head 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

There will be a difference depending on whether it's a Spring or Neap tide....

Trangia 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> There will be a difference depending on whether it's a Spring or Neap tide....

And a Spring tide has nothing to do with the season of Spring! Interpreting tide prediction tables is not easy if you've never done it before. They vary every 24 hours, and are not absolute, hence they are predictions only based all sorts of factors like the gravitational pull of the moon, atmospheric pressures, wind strengths and directions, rainfall, particularly near river mouths. 

If in doubt ring the coastguard before you set out, they are usually only too willing to offer help and advice. Even with a tide table I have rung them when contemplating doing a coastal stretch if only to double check with them and equally importantly to notify them of my intentions so as not to have well meaning cliff walkers and holiday makers ringing them to say that someone "needs rescuing" when you don't. They are very grateful if you do this and ask you to notify them once you have finished.

Sl@te Head 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Trangia:

It's quite easy to be fair, just look at the moon....

Johntherock 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Obi Wan:

Low tide tomorrow is around 0800, getting later daily to around 1300 next Saturday. The tides are neaps so that will affect the amount of time available on the boulders. The potential thunderstorms could also dampen the enthusiasm at times!

Mark Kemball 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Obi Wan:

Click on the tides link here  Cae Du - all the info you need!

OP Obi Wan 10 Aug 2020
In reply to Obi Wan:

Thanks for the info and help everyone, much appreciated.

Managed to get on the boulders yesterday, had an awesome few hours while the kids were dolphin spotting and shell collecting.

Some really nice problems, and everything was dry.

Two things of note if anyone is visiting soon - parking is currently not available at the campsite due to COVID; and the 1km walk from the train station in the next village as described on the UKC crag info actually clocks in at 1.7 miles. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...