UKC

Destinations for 2-3 weeks in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BenRoll 12 Dec 2017
I'm likely to be on my own for most if not all of the trip, as my mates a bit flakey on going out of country... Or anywhere that isn't the indoor wall for that matter.

I'm a relatively low grade climber, but i'm looking to just get out into the world somewhere and do some climbing at my grades, I can boulder probably up to V4 on a good day, but i'm looking to progress through experience.

I'm on a pretty limited budget, the entire trip would probably want to cost no more than £1000 when it comes to flights, accommodation and food but i would prefer if it was somewhere more around 700-800, i'm happy to do alot of research into where i'm going i was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good areas to go within my grades and that are pretty good for a decent length trip.

I wont have a car, as i don't drive so preferably it will be somewhere that is close to the accommodation and somewhere i can get to the accommodation without needing too expensive a transfer.

I know this seems really needy or whatever to be posting for something like this, but i was just wanting to get some outside opinions on what are some good budget bouldering areas.
In reply to BenRoll:

Everywhere ive been out of country climbing: Font, various parts of Italy etc, you need a car but hopefully someone else can suggest.....

In Font you could stay at La Musardière which is in walking ish distance from Tois Pigions (Sabot, Gorge aux Chats, 95.2, 91.1,cul de chin etc) Plane to Paris and train to font

cant see it being too expensive as it costs us about £400 between us to drive (500 miles there) with campsite fees for the van and ferry costs.
 robahalliday 14 Dec 2017
In reply to BenRoll:

El Chorro is a good shout for winter sun (assume you're rock climbing not after winter climbing). Olive Branch is great accommodation (and v. reasonable) they have breakfast and dinner options so you don't need to worry about getting to a supermarket. Believe you can take the train from Malaga (only about an hours ride). Lots of climbers kicking around so you wouldnt struggle finding a partner. Plenty of crags accessible by foot.
 Adrien 14 Dec 2017
In reply to BenRoll:

Font isn't the best without a car but I guess it's doable. From the various train stations you can access a few areas with a 30-45mn walk: Rocher Canon, Restant du Long Rocher, Petit Bois, Mont d'Olivet, Mont Ussy, all of which have lots of circuits with hundres of problems from VB to V-hard. If you're keen you can also walk to Rocher Saint Germain Est (60mn walk from the station). Winter is a bit hit or miss weather wise, right now the place is being battered by gale-force winds so not much climbing happening, but when it's sunny it's paradise. Though it's good to have rest days to regrow some skin. There's not an awful lot to do in the area apart from the castle in Fontainebleau but you can always go to Paris. (Btw the campground mentioned above is nowhere near a train station and won't open until the 17th of February.)

Otherwise if you're keen on bouldering, I haven't been there but I understand you can get to Albarracín by public transport? I suggest you look it up. Might be a bit cold in winter but what do I know. Maybe look up La Pedriza, though again I've no idea about transports and weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...