UKC

Fast drying bouldering in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Collett 03 Nov 2020

I've got a day in the lakes tomorrow before heading back to London for lockdown. It's been very wet recently but tomorrow the weather is supposed to be nice. 

Can anyone recommend any areas that would be a good bet for finding some dry rock? I'm staying around Chapel Stile and have done most of the circuit there.

Thanks

ianstevens 03 Nov 2020
In reply to Will Collett:

Bowderstone is the safest bet surely?

joe.91 03 Nov 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Most of the boulders will be dry, just the ground that will be wet. Coniston area has a large selection, seathwaite, lad stones, dow crag, harter fell all good options.

Langdale boulders are close and  brant fell, kentmere also good options. 

You're looking for:

Free standing - so no seepage

Exposed to the sun and wind - dries faster

Little vegetation on top -less seepage

not in a forest - less humidity

Volcanic rather than something porous - so avoid St. Bees/Armathwaite sandstone

If you've got the guidebook handy it shouldn't be too hard to find something.  The Bowder stone does take run off and I've found it wet before when expecting it to be dry but it might be worth a look.  Eskdale will almost certainly be dry but would make the drive home longer.

Bobling 03 Nov 2020

Read the thread title as 'Fast drying Lake in the boulder district?'.  Made me laugh anyway.

steveriley 03 Nov 2020

I was hiding under the Honister Boulders this summer cursing the mist and steady drip from above. 20 minutes later with a stiff breeze I was away. I know this is miles from Chapel Stile. 

[Insert standard warning about avoiding wet rock.]

Jon Stewart 03 Nov 2020

Have you been to  Carrock Fell Crag before? Loads there, instant drying, plenty of the landings will be dry, a drive through the Lakes in the morning but close to the M6 for the way back.

OP Will Collett 03 Nov 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Was looking at that and it does look really tempting. Adds an hour to my drive but probably worthwhile. Maybe your suggestion will motivate me. Thanks

In reply to steveriley:

Just drove through there and its very soggy. Good to know it dries quick. Thanks

In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Good general advice thanks. I was at the Bowderstone today and it's dripping heavily. The stuff under the ladder (up to the lip) was dry though. Muddy landings. 

In reply to joe.91:

Checked out Langdale boulders and it's all very wet. Will look into the other suggestions. Thanks

Glad you found something to go at. 

+1 for Carrock fell if you're up that way again, it's also a good venue for the last day of your visit as it will harvest your skin! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...