UKC

First places to visit post lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ggilbs 13 Mar 2021

As I sit here resting my sore tendons this weekend unable to climb or train and with lockdown coming to an end in the not too distant future, it’s given me time to think. 

Where will people be travelling too or visiting to boulder once all restrictions have been lifted? 

In reply to Ggilbs:

Font, obviously. I’ve got a couple of months holiday saved up, so a rental in Milly la Foret and a daily walk into the forest.

HakanT 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

Font is a likely first international trip if we are allowed to go. French new cases are much higher than UK at the moment.

After Lockdown 1.0, my first domestic trip was to Dartmoor. The combination of sharp granite and soft skin led to significant loss of blood. I’ll be looking for some polished limestone this time. The Cuttings, maybe.

Jon Stewart 13 Mar 2021
In reply to HakanT:

> After Lockdown 1.0, my first domestic trip was to Dartmoor. The combination of sharp granite and soft skin led to significant loss of blood. 

I went to  Dicken Rocks / Lower Gorple - ouch! Lasted about an hour. 

Wingnut 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

Anywhere with actual hills and enough space to be a very, very long way from other people!

(I live in a block of flats with rather thin walls and some ... interesting ... neighbours.)

SFM 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

The hills. I don’t really mind where just as long as I can happily roam for a couple of days away from normality. Scrambling, climbing, bouldering can come later. 

C Witter 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

I hear the far south of England is quite good. The Lakes, by contrast... awful, awful place. We're all constantly miserable here and it rains every day. No point flocking up here this Easter.

NaCl 14 Mar 2021
In reply to C Witter:

The far south? No, don't waste your time coming this way. Here in Devon we normally have horizontal rain and no rock other than crumbly crumbly red sandstone.

There's also predictions of there being a plague of grockles this year. Those pests can ruin a good summer at the best of times.

Edit: repetition

Post edited at 08:16
 Tom Valentine 14 Mar 2021
In reply to NaCl:

You'll all be better off if the grockles stay away forever, then.

tew 14 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

I'm lucky to be able to walk to some bouldering and trad from my house. 

But a proper trip would be to Font to do the trip I had planned last year. 

C Witter 14 Mar 2021
In reply to NaCl:

Oh, horizontal rain  and crumbly sandstone, eh? Well, lah-dee-dah. Up here, the water cycle gets so strong that when it rains it pelts us with rock. Horizontally and vertically. And we're glad for it - just to experience a little novelty.

NaCl 14 Mar 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Strong water cycle? Sounds lovely that - I'll have to come up to experience that for myself sometime. Novelty down here counts as getting weather clement enough to actually climb something. The wind gets so strong down here I once flew my mate on lead to the top of Berry Head quarry like a kite.

C Witter 14 Mar 2021
In reply to NaCl:

> The wind gets so strong down here I once flew my mate on lead to the top of Berry Head quarry like a kite.

Ha! Brilliant! Reminds me of the time I rapped off Gimmer and wound up on the Isle of Man. Cheaper than the ferry, I must say, though organising an abseil back proved tricky...

Post edited at 11:38
 NaCl 14 Mar 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Ferry?! Luxury! Down here we'd have to do a tyrolean...

mrphilipoldham 14 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

Same places I've been visiting all through lockdown, probably. 

AndyC 14 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

> Where will people be travelling too or visiting to boulder once all restrictions have been lifted?

I'm planning to go home. Haven't been home since September last year. 

PilkingtonD 15 Mar 2021
In reply to Ggilbs:

Sounds like every man and his dog will be going to Font (Including me hopefully)! See you all there.

Before we can do that though I think a Portland trip is well overdue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...