UKC

First time in the Peak bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HeatherRachelS 30 Nov 2018

Hi everyone

Travelling with my significant other to the Peak District for the first time (not for him - but for me!) next weekend. 

I'm relatively new to bouldering (just over a year) - climbing max 6b in Font. Any suggestions of good climbs for my first time on gritstone? One's with a scenic view would be a plus as planning to do some photography whist out there as well! 

Cheers  

Jon Stewart 30 Nov 2018
In reply to HeatherRachelS:

I think Cratcliffe and Robin Hood's Stride is probable the best venue for relative noobs. There's loads of problems in the 5s and 6s, lots are safe with good landings, there's every style imaginable including exciting highballs too if that's your bag, it's a really beautiful place, and even within the venue there's a variety of scenery from the open moorland to adventures in the enchanted forest below the main crag (this might be damp and not particularly enchanted just now). Also, there's a stone circle if you want to sack the climbing off and conduct some magic mushroom-induced druid ritual. Probably not that fun in December, come to think of it, better stick to bouldering.

danm 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

As Jon says, RHS and Cratcliffe are a good option. The other classic starter venue is Burbage South boulders, lots to go at there with mainly good landings. Or, you could try the bouldering at the Roaches, some easy classics there as well. If the weather is good and you don't mind the crowds, the Plantation is popular for a reason. Pebble Arete, Bullworker and Hourglass are all classics in your grade range, and I'd also recommend the problems on Crozzle Block and the Lone Boulder as an intro.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks for the advise Jon! Although think I'll be avoiding the magic mushrooms this time round ;p 

In reply to danm:

Thanks for the tips!  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...