UKC

Helman and Cornish Topo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sabrina Brooke 03 Oct 2019

Helman Tor

Hi everyone,

recently visited Helman Tor, but there seems to be no guidebook/topo for it. Seems that there used to be one which is now unavailable... Anyone got a pdf they could send to me? 

Many thanks,

Brina 

oakapple 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Sabrina Brooke:

Hi Sabrina,

The cheesewring +South East Cornwall guide has a pretty good section on Helman. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/books/cheesewring+south_east_cornwall_a_...

There is also a selection of problems in Boulder Britain and I believe there are rumours of a Cornwall / South West bouldering guide(s)

Hope you had fun, it is one of my favourite venues!

Tom Last 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Sabrina Brooke:

Hi Sabrina.

As Oakapple says, Cheesewring Guide is great and comprehensive for Helman and still very much available, from Waterstones in Truro along with regular climbing shops. Boulder Britain is also great but being selective only really provides enough coverage for a couple of visits.

There is a Cornish Select bouldering Guide that’s currently being put together by myself and a friend, but I’m afraid the Helman topo isn’t done yet otherwise I’d send you a pdf. 

Either of the guides mentioned are a good bet.

In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks everyone for the advice, will get on the Cheesewring +South East Cornwall guidebook, and looking forward to the bouldering guide!

Brina

RobertHepburn 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Last:

Will it include Trewertha Tor? I went there last year and was really impressed by the quality and quantity of boulder problems, and was amazed how little I had heard about it. I could also see there were lots of other areas not that far away ...

Tom Last 07 Oct 2019
In reply to RobertHepburn:

Hi Robert.

Yes, definitely. Trewortha is a lovely spot isn’t it - lovely sandbags  

kingholmesy 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Last:

Hi Tom,

Drop me an email if there are particular venues / problems that you need action photos for and I will see if I can pay any of them a visit over the winter.  My vanity is such that I'm always keen to get my photo in guidebooks!

Cheers,

Luke.

Tom Last 07 Oct 2019
In reply to kingholmesy:

Hey Luke.

There definitely will be and I need models other than endless photos of Tom and I! I’m back in Cornwall now living in PZ for a month or so, so keen to finish up pics for Penwith. 

Need some stuff up on the moors in particular and Cott Valley too if of any interest. 

I’ll give you a shout in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Tom

kingholmesy 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Last:

Cheers Tom. I’ve emailed you my mobile number.

In reply to Tom Last:

Emailed you

apwebber 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom Last:

Great to hear about new guide. Trewortha and the neighbouring Kilmar Tor are so cool, some great problems and the rock is a nice change from Dartmoor crystal crimping. Kilmar in particular needs to be more travelled as the rock is very scrittly, if you go there now you can spend half the time cleaning the rock up.

I'm not sure why they aren't more popular as they're the same driving time from Plymouth as the Widdecombe tors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...