UKC

Logging new climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenSends 30 Nov 2020

Hello, so I’m wondering what the etiquette is to logging new climbs/boulders? 

First question is how does anyone log or record a new climb they’ve potentially created, I mean can you upload them onto the 27 Crags app? Or is the general consensus just climb it leave it and if it’s good others will repeat it? 

I’ve been up at Baildon Bank and I think I’ve come up with a ‘nice’ new line, it’s not of a high grade but it’s a decent warm up Boulder with a small crimp and a bit of a reach and slap included for good measure. 

I was just curious if anyone’s done something similar and thought how do I know it’s a new climb and how do I record it so others can find it etc? Or does anyone actually care about my new climb that’s not an 8a?

Thanks in advance 

In reply to BenSends:

Check and recheck guidebooks (comprehensive ones, not selective 'best of' ones, and check old editions) and check the crag on here.

Maybe message the crag moderator on here.

If nobody seems to have done it, record it as a new climb on here and discuss with the crag moderator whether there are other sources of information to update (local websites, cc etc)

Mark Kemball 30 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

If you can't find it in any of the relevant guidebooks and it's not already in the logbook here on UKC, click on "add a climb" for the crag and enter the details. As a moderator, I find it very helpful if you can say where it is in relation to existing climbs so that the routes can be sorted correctly in left to right order. If possible, include a photo-topo.

OP BenSends 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Kemball:

That’s really helpful. Thanks Mark 

mrphilipoldham 30 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

Where about at Baildon? The unknown stones topo covers most of the potential and I haven’t ever spotted anything obvious ‘missing’ but my warm ups are only f4 or 5!!

OP BenSends 30 Nov 2020
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Thank you. I can’t believe how many climbs are on here that aren’t on the app, I think I was very naive to think it hadn’t been logged already but it’s great to see there’s another source for me to find climbs though. Appreciate the education here. 

OP BenSends 30 Nov 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Turns out you were right it has been logged and it’s a great little climb too. As previously stated a bit naive of me to think otherwise but I’m happy have another source of climbs to now use. 

mrphilipoldham 02 Dec 2020
In reply to BenSends:

Which one is it?

OP BenSends 02 Dec 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Oh it was called Pod Left Hand - it has a tiny little crimpy pocket with a sharp tooth on it. I'd only been using 27 Craggs app and an old book so just presumed it wasn't logged. I'm fairly new into outdoor climbing so hadn't even thought that obviously people had been climbing these places for a very long time before me!

mrphilipoldham 02 Dec 2020
In reply to BenSends:

I haven't done it, I'll have to seek it out! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...