UKC

Newbiggin crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ehmarra 18 Jun 2020

I managed to snatch a few hours before the rain at Newbiggin today and noticed that there lots of holds chalked up areas that arn't in the  lake bouldering and lakes bloc guides. Does anyone know of an alternative topo or new added problems in this area. I know of to new problems on the limestone pavement that have been added to UKC but there was chalk on almost every section of rock. Its a brilliant place to bring beginners and would be good to have a guide of the extra problems to give them something more to go at. 

coldfell 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Ehmarra:

Which Newbiggin would that be? I wasn't aware of a crag near us at Penrith.

Dorine

OP Ehmarra 18 Jun 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Newbiggin crag in Silverdale  Newbiggin Crag

sheelba 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Ehmarra:

When we went there we climbed whatever looked good. Plenty of great stuff the Farleton side that’s not in the guidebook as well. Shame about all the chalk though it’s a lovely spot, hopefully the rain will do a good job of washing it all away. Not really in Silverdale but that’s the area name used in the guide.

Post edited at 18:07
 petegunn 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Ehmarra:

Are some on here?

www.lakesbloc.com/guides/limestonelink-guide.pdf

Or is that the guide you were using?

I know you said Newbiggin and the Lakes Bouldering guide does cover a section there, all the routes on the hill that face the motorway are in the Lancashire Climbing Guide, Farleton Crag and Farleton Upper Crag, Covering about 100 routes with a max height of 10m.

Post edited at 12:57
OP Ehmarra 19 Jun 2020
In reply to petegunn:

yeah I used that and also the lakes guide. I was just interested to see as there looked to be so much more to go at at Newbiggin that isn't documented 

Ben Farley 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Ehmarra:

There is masses of stuff not described in the guide or elsewhere online. Some quite small but still fun, I always just wander about climbing whatever looks fun. Loads of mileage.

No need to have everything documented at a venue like this, its mainly easy stuff and fun to explore with new climbers.

Post edited at 14:01
OP Ehmarra 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Ben Farley:

Yeah true, guess it all doesn't need documented. Though it help reduce wear on other problems. The left hand side of the crag nettle wall is already seeing a bit of damage 

Post edited at 17:33
 Ben Farley 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Ehmarra:

Yeah, fair point about spreading the load. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...