UKC

NY Moors bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 19 Aug 2023

Despite growing up in North Yorkshire, my knowledge of the Moors is pretty limited. I've got the guidebook and I know Scugdale and the Wainstones pretty well, but where would you recommend other than those two at this time of year? Looking for quality and quantity rather than difficulty. Recommendations for other crags with enough quality for a full day up to V4 please!

mikekeswick 19 Aug 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Slipstones?

DaveHK 19 Aug 2023
In reply to mikekeswick:

> Slipstones?

Is there more than one Slipstones? The one I know isn't NYM.

OP Sam Beaton 19 Aug 2023
In reply to mikekeswick:

Yes, I was after NYM sandstone rather than Pennine grit recommendations please

Rib1356 20 Aug 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

There’s quite a few good bouldering venues around Blakey Ridge.

There’s plenty to go at here that can easily fill a full day: Duck Boulders

Some other suggestions in that area:

Camp Hill

Round Crag

If you’re looking for places closer to Wainstones

Tranmire

Cold Moor

NOS Boulder

OP Sam Beaton 20 Aug 2023
In reply to Rib1356:

Thank you, they all look good. Still undecided whether to head north or south on Tue but if I go to the Moors then it will be Camp Hill, the crag description on UKC makes it the winner for me!

Ram MkiV 20 Aug 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Would second the Duck Boulders recommendation.  Generally really good quality rock and a dense venue by Moors standards.  Really enjoyed an afternoon there yesterday. First visit in a long time and, thanks to the great wind, it was really nice cons with no midge.  Heather and skies looking impressive.  

Ram MkiV 20 Aug 2023
In reply to Ram MkiV:

Since the circuit at Clemitt's would also fit the OP's requirements really well, this seems a good time and place to ask if anyone knows what the score is with access to the bouldering there now?
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/clemitts_crag-8277/#clemitts_in_th...
It's now a number of years on from when it got banned.  If no progress with access has/is being made, is it time people just started going there again now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...