UKC

Older Boulder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenSends 23 Nov 2020

I've only taken up bouldering in the last 18 months and only started climbing outdoors in the last six. One thing that I've noticed is that there seems to be a more 'mature' bouldering scene (for want of  better word) outdoors than in the gyms? 

Is this the norm would you say? 

Everyone seemed helpful on Sunday at Brimham Rocks and nobody judged me (to my face) as a I sloped off when I couldn't do the start of Whiskey Galore.

plyometrics 23 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

The mature outdoor bouldering scene is hot right now.

Keep an eye out for MILFS (Mothers I Love to Find Spotting) and MAMILS (Middle Aged Men In Little Shoes). 

I’m proud to be the latter.

Enjoy your new found pastime!

Phil79 23 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

Its because all the old skool climbers aren't cool or strong enough for all the indoor comp problems, and are too tight to pay to climb anyway. Although they'll tell you its because they prefer the outdoors.

plyometrics 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Phil79:

Nah, defo not strength related. It’s the lack of flexibility for all the toe and heel hook shenanigans required to succeed on all these new fangled indoor problems.

Give me a massive face on lock-off and dirty grimace every day of the week.

Post edited at 16:01
 Phil79 23 Nov 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

> Give me a massive face on lock-off and dirty grimace every day of the week.

This.

afx22 23 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

I think there’s a progression for some, from indoors to outdoors.

Indoors has its merits but many of the holds and climbing centres can look pretty similar after a while.  And if the climbs are reset every 6 weeks or so, they can become forgettable.  You can grow out of it over time.

Outdoors, there are so many problems, that are all different.  All with unique holds and foot placements.  There’s more than a lifetimes worth and they don’t get reset, so if you don’t climb them, there’s alway next week it next season.  Then there’s all the amazing places you can go.  You get a greater range of good memories.

While indoors is generally more accessible, outdoor bouldering has more depth.  I think it takes a while to realise that.  I climbed solely indoors for around 5 years and hated it outside.  Then I got the bug and I’ve been climbing outside for around 6 years now.  I still feel like a newbie but I love it.

Whisky Galore is a great climb btw.

mrphilipoldham 23 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

What you're seeing is the archetypal Yorkshire man. Won't spend a tenner a pop to do something that he can do for nowt  

cragtyke 23 Nov 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Be careful or you can get back over the border ! Coming over here messing with our boulders.

OP BenSends 24 Nov 2020
In reply to afx22:

That put it's into perspective for sure. Any idea how to get out of my grade 6 climbs as I cant seem to progress from there? Although I dont think i'll ever run out of them haha!

mrphilipoldham 24 Nov 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I aspire to be as thrifty as the locals! 

afx22 24 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

Ha ha.  I’m stuck at V6 and V7 and I’m fighting the ageing process, so maybe the wrong person to ask!

But the secret seems to me to be start young, don’t get injured, get loads of mileage on different types of rock and across different styles.  Ask friends for feedback on your weaknesses and train them.  Climb sometimes with people who are better than you are.

Don’t rush too much and enjoy the journey.

ipfreely 10 Dec 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> What you're seeing is the archetypal Yorkshire man. Won't spend a tenner a pop to do something that he can do for nowt  

A perfect description of Cragtyke   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...