UKC

Painful wrist => Left hand wiping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adstapleton 22 Sep 2012
I did my right hand-wrist-forearm in and now have to wipe my starfish with my left hand.

It's like learning to walk again. Or something.

I also haven't been able to climb for two weeks now and I think it'll be another two before sufficient healing has occurred.

Anybody else suffered a wrist injury (ulnar side) that meant butt wiping was too painful? If so did you get it properly diagnosed and what was it?
 Yanis Nayu 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton: What about taking Captain Picard to warp speed?
 Cheese Monkey 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton: You'd do well in India
 Steve John B 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to adstapleton) What about taking Captain Picard to warp speed?

I had to look that up
 Dave Garnett 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

That's what struck me too. In fact, during my cultural research before visiting India I did get to wondering why they assume that that everyone attends to their personal hygiene left-handedly.

Due to natural reticence I've hesitated to conduct a survey on this but... am I unusual in not having left-handed wiping programmed in during infancy?

I am fairly ambidextrous and usually eat and drink left-handed, which I had to remember not to do in India. I didn't really want to get into a discussion about why the practical underpinnings of this convention didn't apply to me.
 gethin_allen 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton:
Did you hurt your wrist in a fall onto an open palm? If you put your hand in the thumbs up hitch-hiking position then push a finger into the dimple formed behind your thumb does it hurt?
If the answer to these questions is yes then you've probably broken your scaphoid and should have it looked at because it's an awkward bone to heal and will cause havoc if it doesn't.
I know this because my left wrist is currently in plaster for this very reason.
Fingers crossed (or maybe not) it will be ok as it can take upto 8 weeks to fix.
 Dave Garnett 22 Sep 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

Well, yes, of course he could be nursing the necrotic sequestrum of his ruined scaphoid and may never recover, but what about the bum wiping thing?
 luke glaister 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett: Hahaha
Removed User 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton:

http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/personal%20care/bottom-wipers-1758-p/

I sometimes wonder what's left to be designed.
interdit 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton:

Are you mechanically minded and have an old bike you could cannibalise?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markscott/228347839/
OP adstapleton 22 Sep 2012
In reply to gethin_allen: No pain there, all pain is on the other side of the wrist, the little finger side.

The only time it hurts is under load or with a bit of twist and load, typified by wiping one's gruff portal.
In reply to interdit:

I knew it'd be a picture of the clag gone advert from viz before I even clicked it!
 Yanis Nayu 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton: I remember it from the original )))
 gethin_allen 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton:
"all pain is on the other side of the wrist"
Ah, yes, mixing up the ulnar and radius.

buy a bidet.
 MJ 22 Sep 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

buy a bidet.

Or a dog...
 Tom Hill 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton: Could be a TFCC injury... Does it hurt when lifting up a desk with your hands underneath?
 birdie num num 22 Sep 2012
In reply to adstapleton:
Num Num always wipes his spinkter with the middle finger of his right hand
 MJ 22 Sep 2012
In reply to birdie num num:

Num Num always wipes his spinkter with the middle finger of his right hand

Finger Lickin' Good!
In reply to Tom Hill:

I strongly suspected a TFCC injury, it hurts to get the hand round into the table lift position, but projecting force through it isn't bad at all. I can't get a match for all the symptoms of a TFCC so I'm more inclined to think its some kind of minor but painful tendon damage in the but that joins the little finger to the rest of me.

It's been two weeks now and it feels substantially better, this morning I wiped with the injured hand and actually forgot that it would hurt, it didn't! I'm now wiping with the right hand again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...