UKC

Parking at Caley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Davidlees215 23 Jan 2021

Loads of people on the local Otley Facebook page complaining about climbers parking at the bus stop on Leeds road. Someone posted a picture last week and today of climbers with pads getting out of their car on Leeds road. 

A few people saying people shouldn't be climbing but the main complaint seems to be that they're blocking the bus stop. I doubt many are using that bus stop right now but probably best to park a few yards further back on the layby as there's usually loads of space even if it's a bit muddy. 

There had been a lot of complaints last week about bad parking further up on the chevin that resulted in the police turning up and issuing a few dozen fixed penalty notices for obstructing the road.

Arms Cliff 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Davidlees215:

Can you post a link to share please? 

OP Davidlees215 23 Jan 2021

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Otley.the.community.we.live.in/permalink/16...

Not sure if you can see it as it's a private group 

NorthernGrit 23 Jan 2021

Everywhere around the chevin is bad on a nice day right now. Seems to be a total lockdown honeypot. No excuse though, there is so much parking compared to other crags. If layby is full park up at cheerful chilli or quarry and enjoy the pleasant 10 min walk down the hill. If they're full too - well, that's probably an indication of the suitability of your lockdown exercise destination.

Matt Podd 23 Jan 2021

Its a local crag for local People. If you can't walk to it don't come! Stay at home and stay safe!

OP Davidlees215 23 Jan 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

I've not been climbing on the chevin in recent weeks but I've driven past for work quite a lot. From what I can see there usually seems to be loads of parking space on the layby on Leeds road that is close to the climbing on caley. The car parks by the cheerful chili are usually rammed though with people just parking in the road when the car parks fill up and that's where the police issued fixed penalty notices last week.

NorthernGrit 24 Jan 2021

Definitely no excuses for climbers then. Likewise surprise view has seen plenty of roadside parking when the car park has filled up. Think a few tickets have been issued up there too.

BenSends 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

I walk there from Mentston, am I local enough?

NorthernGrit 28 Jan 2021
In reply to BenSends:

You have to walk past West Chevin to get there so grey area.

BenSends 29 Jan 2021

Very true, West Chevin is a great little area too, I just can't do anything past the 6A's there so Otley Chevin has so much more to offer.

Will Hunt 29 Jan 2021

The post appears to have been removed. I can't find any other complaints of climbers parking poorly in the group?

Was the photo of people parking in the layby or on the grassed verge? None of the layby is a bus stop.

NorthernGrit 29 Jan 2021
In reply to BenSends:

It's also a total bog currently!

BenSends 01 Feb 2021

I saw a few people I follow on Instagram must have braved the bog at the weekend as there were quite a few people posting their sessions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...