UKC

Peak District Slabs (Boulder problems)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I usually climb over hanging stuff but my shoulder is a little tweaked so I'm going have to jump on some slabs for a change :| I live near the Roaches so that my local but I do head into the Peak every weekend too so any suggestions of good slab problems around 6c-7a mark would be greatly appreciated. Theres the obvious spring boulders (Spring slab, C3P0) on the lower tier but apart from that I usually steer clear.
So I'm thinking to keep me occupied for a few weeks:
Spring Slab at Roaches spring boulder
The Ripple at Newstones (A classic I've not even been on, I know bad aint it)
SPinal Slab at Robin hood stride

But off the top of my head I can't think of any more

Cheers !
Post edited at 10:51
 Brumbler 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve Halfpenny:

Bancrofts 6b on the upper tier at the Roaches, Dry wit in a wet country at the stride staying on that side of the peak. Appliance friction at Stanton is great, only 6b so a bit easier but a really good slab. Elmer Fudd at Baslow, Tombstone at Froggatt, Satin at Stanage are all worth doing as well. Spinal slab and C3P0 feel desperate for the grade to me, can barely even get onto C3P0!
 JayK 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Brumbler:

Beauty at Stanage North.
 Jon Greengrass 17 Nov 2017

Burbage South PDB 7a Slab (f7A)

Burbage NorthTiny Right Arête (f6C) can be done right hand only if its your left shoulder that is tweaked
In reply to Brumbler:

I did ok on spinal slab last time i was there so hoping it will go on sunday

nice one for the list we get around those places a lot (apart from Froggatt, not a big fan as it shuts me down haha, I did Jet set one week then a few months later couldn't agghhhhh haha)
 sxrxg 17 Nov 2017

Have you checked on peakbouldering.info? See the below link for results of all slab problems in the peak. Not sure all will be suitable however it should give you some stuff to look at.

http://peakbouldering.info/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&min_grade=30&max_g...
 mark s 17 Nov 2017

You might be disappointed if you think the ripple is a slab at newstones. It's a wall but it's not hard so you should be ok on it still.

At the end of the upper tier on the roaches before the steps on to the skyline is a line block with a great slab on the front . Don't know it's name off top of my head
In reply to mark s:

yeah I know the ripple isn't a slab but its not over hanging so should be ok with my shoulder, but cheers anyway dude I check out them upper tier slabs,
was on Spinal Slab yesterday and I'm one move off before going to the top, just need to sort a foot hold somewhere so that should go pretty soon.

Most of the suggestions below have either ended up as highballs, routes, or solos - as such please accept my apologies if you're looking for something more modest in height. That said, despite it's less than user friendly appeal, they are all in a class of their own. All the ones I've done are amazing and all the others are the ones I most want to do!

The Block at Black Rocks has to be one of the best slabs around, the only caveat being that the mantleshelf to get up into the gutter/runnel could be problematic if it's your right shoulder that's out of action (left should be fine). If you do manage to get through Velvet Silence (E6 6c) is arguably my favourite 7a+ in the Peak and Jumpin' on a Beetle (E6 6c) + The Angel's Share (E8 7a) need little introduction...

Pressure Drop (f7A+) and Satin provide a good duo at Stanage Plantation. Depending on your shoulder Silk (E5 6c) provides a great 7B when climbed to the top too, it's just the start that could aggravate things. If you find those easy then there's always Shirley's Shining Temple (f7C), which has an obscenely hard start and an obscenely high finish.

Froggatt has already been mentioned, but Downhill Racer (E4 6a) is a total classic. Great Slab (E3 5b) and Artless (E5 6b) are also worth a look, with the latter being relatively straightforward if you've got a good reach. Benign Lives (E7 6c) is another one I'd love to go back for, feeling in/around the 7A+ mark, but needing quite a few pads.

Further north, Psycho (E5 6b) at Caley is another total classic and the Direct Start is well worth doing if you found the main route easy enough to justify going up there again!

Sure there's around 101 other problems I've forgotten, but having just got back from a somewhat mad weekend at Kendal I don't think my mind is firing on all cylinders - as such I'll send through some more ideas + suggestions as/when I can think of some.

In reply to Brumbler:

It took me countless trips to do Spinal Slab + C3PO, they felt absolutely impossible for years, then even when I thought I'd good at slabs still felt similarly implausible. Think the day I did C3PO something must have happened to the earth's gravitational field

Another one I forgot over on the Roaches Skyline is Trust, but I can't seem to put a route link in - there's a photo of mine in the galleries if that's of any help.
 SDM 20 Nov 2017

Trust is fantastic. It starts with a slightly overhanging mantle but this is much easier than the trusting your feet on non-existent footholds part so hopefully it will be OK on your shoulder.

You could combine it with Milky Buttons (f7B). Just make sure you warm up before you walk over to the clouds, everything there seems to be at least 7A or quite serious.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...