UKC

Public transport to Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey guys,

Totally new to the forum scene, so apologies if this has been answered before.

I'm Just now getting into outdoor bouldering after about 2 years indoors, been to the Roaches twice now and planning to go to Churnet tomorrow, super Psyched.

Issue is, as I don't currently drive, I have to rely on the friends to take me with them, Which I am ever grateful for however isn't always available. I live in the centre of Birmingham so I'm not exactly surrounded by awesome green space. Does anybody know of any good crags that are easily accessible by, say, train or coach etc. I have no problem with a little walk from the station and I'm even more happy to camp if its a big journey 

Just seriously yearning for some more outdoor action and don't want to keep harassing good natured mates!

Thanks guys, look forward to the response!

robert-hutton 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Callum David Smith:

From a train to Sheffield you can get to lots of the peak crags, via Train to Hathersage or bus, you might have a walk to get to the rock climbing areas, or train to Matlock via Derby gets you some limestone. 

slab_happy 19 Sep 2020

Train to Sheffield, bus to the Fox House, amazingly short walk walk to Burbage South Valley boulders!

Or: train to Sheffield, bus to Hathersage, longer walk to Stanage! Potential camping at North Lees campsite.

Or: train to Sheffield, bus to Calver, walk uphill to Curbar!

Babika 19 Sep 2020

Try posting/looking in the Lifts and Partners Forum for a share? 

I used to drive from the Midlands to crags all over the country on my own and it was really helpful to share petrol costs sometimes.

I guess in these Covid times people might be a bit less forthcoming but worth a try? 

Dan Arkle 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Babika:

Although public transport is possible, it can be a real effort, especially with pads and a walk in when you arrive.

Find some climbing friends with cars! 

The ukc lifts and partners forum could be useful. There will probably be a Facebook lifts/partners group for your local area. Or you can put a notice up at your local wall.

Good luck! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...