UKC

Recommend me a bouldering mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 05 Feb 2013
Going to start bouldering this year to help improve my strength and power and also get out when i don't have a partner. Only done bits and bobs before and want some advice on buying a bouldering mat. Should i jump in at the deep end and buy an expensive thick one or save my pennies and buy something cheaper. I don't plan to do much or any high balling and obviously will be starting out at a low grade then HOPEFULLY start to work through the grades, so what mat do you use or recommend. Almost all bouldering will be in northumberland and north yorkshire. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

David
 brokenbanjo 05 Feb 2013
In reply to David Cowley:

i got an Alpkit Phud. Seems to be pretty good at what it does and the size is alright for the price of £65.
 Si dH 05 Feb 2013
Personally id spend a bit more and get something good and pretty big. Highballs or not, when you only have one pad they look small and thin below you. Youll enjoy it more if youre not worried about your ankles.
I have a couple of pod mats that I like, others I know have dmm dynos, moon warriors, various others all reasonably recommended I think
 Hewitt 05 Feb 2013
In reply to David Cowley: you're upset I won't be around to climb with you aren't you
 nasher47 05 Feb 2013

If you're planning on going out by yourself then a bigger pad is probably a good idea. Personally I'd spend the money, it's like anything - buy cheap, buy twice.

Any of the big names will give you a pretty decent pad but personally (because I'm a bit of a brand junkie) I'd recommend either SNAP or Moon.

In order to provide a balanced (and therefore possibly less helpful) post I would just say that I have mates who have gone for the Alpkit "twin pack" and they have been very pleased with the performance they're getting for their money, plus you have two separate pads to help better deal with those awkward landings.
 seankenny 05 Feb 2013

Try new kids on the bloc, Momentum Bouldering:

http://www.momentumbouldering.co.uk/

Very thick and great quality foam. Save your pennies in the short term and your ankles in the longer term!
 Elrond 05 Feb 2013

I'd say go for the DMM Highball. Its cheap (reasonably), thick, big and seriously tough! I've been using one Really regularly and its still like new after a year.

One other thing, avoid Black Diamond pads like the plague!! The foam is So terrible and they are just not worth the money.
 LaMentalist 05 Feb 2013

I've got an older version of the Metolius Boss Hog , had it for around 8 years now and its still going strong . http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/boss_hogg.html

Tuff as a pig but not as tasty !

OP David Cowley 06 Feb 2013
In reply to David Cowley: great stuff guys cheers, was looking at black diamond so thanks for the warning to stay away, now it's just a matter of choosing between the recommended pads cheers all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...