UKC

Resting heart rate and Climbing V grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stephenjb 22 Sep 2020

Hey, 
I have to make a lab report for my access course and hope that some of you can help.
I am focusing on V grade and resting heart rate. All I need is the max V grade in the last three months and your resting heart rate.
If you don't know how to check your resting heart rate here is a link to a how to= https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatmen...
This link is the form I made for it. 

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=OrvxmPpegkeIur2JfbYOYq5...

Thanks a lot guys

wbo2 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb: you really need to add age to your questionnaire.  Id also guesstimate that while you'll see a distribution of heart rate lower than normal , the correlation performance to help will be loose and not directly connected. 

But maybe I'll be wrong.  Good luck 

Ollie B 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

What if it is lower than 40?

stephenjb 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Ollie B:

If it is you are a elephant or an elite athlete  or you need to go get checked at the doctors 

Post edited at 12:18
 webbo 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

I used to have heart rate range between 35 and 200 when cycle racing. When I wore my h/r bouldering on my board, my heart rate barely got in to 3 figures. Which is not going to contribute to a low resting pulse.

In reply to webbo:

similar, have naturally low heart rate - the ride to the wall raises it more than bouldering, even at my limit.

McHeath 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

Just to put things in perspective: a few years back I basically stopped climbing for a few years to concentrate on distance running. The few times I went bouldering, I managed V2; resting heart rate: 48. Now I only run 10-20K a week and also smoke occasionally, but climb and train for climbing 5 times a week. Bouldering grade: V6 on a good day; resting heart rate: 56.So in my case an inverse correlation, which is definitely not causal.

As webbo said: bouldering at a certain grade is not going to be a major factor in influencing your resting heart rate. 

Roadrunner6 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

Mine will often drop into the 30's. Looking at my history on garmin my resting heart rate was 38-39 on a few days over the past month. Normally it sits 42-45.

I'm a runner but only 40, I think a few would be lower than that.

I'd ask about other activities they do too. Many runners and cyclists may boulder 1-2x a month and have very low heart rates.

Post edited at 13:52
 ianstevens 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

In an ex-bang-average athlete and mine is routinely below 40. Doctor was fine with it the second I shared my sporting history, such as it is.

afx22 22 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

I’ve been playing with testing heart rate when climbing, for a few years and I would strongly suggest there is little correlation between bouldering grade and resting heart rate.  Often, a problem can be climbed before my heart rate has had much chance to elevate.

The correlation on sport routes is more interesting, as is the recovery time between attempts.  Also, the difference in lag between optical and a chest strap is significant.

stephenjb 23 Sep 2020

Hey,

First off thank you to everyone who did the questionnaire 113 of you !

Next, yes there is a lot of improvements that could be made to get better data.

I won't post my report because I don't to get plagiarised but I will find a way to post the data so we can all see it.

Lastly I didn't think that many people would have heart rates under 40 so I need to eat my words with that.

If you do have a resting heart rate under 40 it can be dangerous ever if it comes from fitness. If you feel dizzy or blackout go to see a GP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsYpBNMjdQ&ab_channel=YorkCardiology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8GZlBBv5k&ab_channel=MedlifeCrisis

Thanks again everyone!

> Hey, 

> I have to make a lab report for my access course and hope that some of you can help.

> I am focusing on V grade and resting heart rate. All I need is the max V grade in the last three months and your resting heart rate.

> If you don't know how to check your resting heart rate here is a link to a how to= https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatmen...

> This link is the form I made for it. 

> Thanks a lot guys

webbo 23 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

Clearly you have not watched the video you linked to in which the cardiologist says it does not matter what rate your heart is beating as long as your body is functioning.

summo 23 Sep 2020
In reply to stephenjb:

> If you do have a resting heart rate under 40 it can be dangerous ever if it comes from fitness. If you feel dizzy or blackout 

Isn't this more likely to be blood pressure related, not how often your heat beats? 

I think you'd be surprised how many reasonable conditioned folk have rested rates around 40. You don't need to be pushing elite status. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...