UKC

Skin flappers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenSends 16 Nov 2020

Morning all, first time poster, long time reader here.

Upon bouldering and trying Roof of the World in Otley Chevin this weekend I sustained not one but two flappers! they are on the joints of my fingers!

Does anyone have any advice (be nice) on how to help them heal properly/quickly?

Cheers

In reply to BenSends:

Don't let them crack!
Whatever you do, once the flap is gone, long after all the incoming debates over whether to cut it off or not are over, do not let the new skin dry out because it will split and hurt like hell and take longer to heal.
Once you're at that stage keep something like climb on on your person at all times and use it.

OP BenSends 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Ah nice I've not heard of Climb on before i'll check them out. Thank you. Only been climbing outdoors for a short while hence my pretty amateur question.

Derry 16 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

bite 'em off, swallow whole. gives you at least a grade and a half on your current ability.

OP BenSends 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Derry:

That wouldn't be going up too far then! struggling to get past 6A at the moment. I think I need to build up my strength.

apwebber 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Does Climb On actually work? How does it compare to any other moisturiser with added vitamin E?

johncook 16 Nov 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Before the advent of 'climb on' and other brands I used simple beeswax furniture polish. Something I learned from my blacksmith grandfather, whose job tended to dry his skin.

In reply to apwebber:

It works for this, but I'm sure plenty of other options would be just as good. It is mostly just beeswax, isn't it? I don't have a comprehensive moisturiser collection so can't speak to the relative benefits.

Stop them cracking is the message. Use whatever it takes.

MischaHY 16 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

Wet heal. This means keep it covered with a plaster and moist with a oil or wax based balm of some description. This is by far the fastest method of healing and also the least painful due to minimal cracking. 

Some people will tell you to dry it out, these people are masochists! 

OP BenSends 17 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Ah thank you! i'll slap a plaster on then as both flappers are on the cracks of my fingers!

MischaHY 17 Nov 2020
In reply to BenSends:

I get splits occasionally on the joints due to sharp crimps, and wet healing is the fastest way to go with the least chance of resplitting later Glad I could help! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...