UKC

Summer bouldering with a toddler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 8dreams 05 Dec 2019

Hi all,

Since there is a third member in my family, I have to be even more picky towards my climbing holiday destinations. There are quite a few needs to be satisfied and I was wondering if you guys have some recommendations as I haven't been to any of these places. First things first - needs: flat (preferably green) surrounding so that the toddler (1.5 years old at this time) can walk around without us freaking out that she will experience a 10 meter drop For the lady - the more "beautiful" the better - meaning a river and a nice cute town nearby is a big plus. Bouldering grades - 5s-6As and 7B-7Cs. Travelling - renting a car is no problem, but it has to be max 2-2.5 hours from a nearby airport.

My ideas so far from what I have researched - 

Val di mello ; Cresciano ; Chronico

I have been to Fb and Albarracin, but hope there is something that will suit the rest of the family better (and will be somewhat chiller as the trip will be around June/July...).

Recommendations / ideas?

Post edited at 07:52
 Stein 05 Dec 2019
In reply to 8dreams:

I have only been to Chironico (if that is what you mean) and a lot of the boulders are on rather steep and rocky terrain and might be quiet warm during that time of the year (we went last June and with 37deg C there was only us climbing, because it was too hot).

For that time of the year I would go somewhere higher up. You could look at the Gothard pass/Susstenpass (but there is not a lot of shade up there). We are thinking about Silvretta/Galtür for this summer.

EwanR 05 Dec 2019
In reply to 8dreams:

In Switzerland the best areas in summer and with a kid are probably the Gotthard pass, Engelberg and some sectors around Kandersteg. Cresciano and Chironico are likely to be very hot at that time of year.

There's an overview with a few photos at http://www.blocheart.de/bouldern/EU/CH/swissbloc.htm

All are very pretty and easily accessible by car or train from Zurich airport.

sxrxg 05 Dec 2019
In reply to 8dreams:

Torridon/Northwest Scotland? Deffo fits the beautiful bit and the bouldering is generally quite close to the road and green. Weather will possibly hit or miss though. 

North Wales? Loads of venues to pick from, plenty close to the road and with grass about. Pretty towns such as Portmeirion and lots of beautiful scenery/beaches. 

Targasonne in the Pyrenees might be an option. Campsite right at the boulders, grassy landings and quite high so temps might be ok.  

In reply to sxrxg:

Torridon in summer with a child, just don't, as the cloud of midgies descend to feast on little jonny you may have second thoughts.

Fontainebleau is just like being at the beach with children, one big sand pit with magical forest, if to hot for harder climbing easier circuits are a great way to explore and get a climbing fix, did it for years with my boy.

tjekel 07 Dec 2019
In reply to 8dreams:

We have been to ailefroide an did some bouldering with the little one. Reasonably high (1500-1800 asl) and several areas that where child friendly.  And easy to find a partner for a quick single / multipitch excursion for each parent. 

Post edited at 19:53
 greg_may_ 07 Dec 2019
In reply to 8dreams:

Font for us the last two years at 1 and 2 years old. It's a massive sandpit with lizards and some tunnels to play in. Pretty much heaven for a toddler. 

Be prepared to bail at a moments notice when it's just not a do as I am asked to do day.

nikoid 08 Dec 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

> Be prepared to bail at a moments notice when it's just not a do as I am asked to do day.

Eh?

greg_may_ 08 Dec 2019
In reply to nikoid:

"I DON'T WANT TO GO CLIMBING ROCKS"

*child throws tanturn - shits pants - eats a handful of soap*

Or whatever your child may do.

Basically, be prepared to NOT go climbing when you get there if they decide otherwise. Font is good for entertaining a toddler with acorns, sticks, lizards, sand...but even that fails sometimes. 

nikoid 09 Dec 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

Ah, got it now thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...