UKC

Teenage boy and Slopers / Mantles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PhilTimpotts 15 Apr 2018

Looking for a bit of help. 

I haven't been bouldering outside that much but the issue that has crept up every time is my son's wrist pain when topping out or any sort of sloper move. He's 15. He climbs inside a couple of times a week. We've been to Burbage south and Cratcliffe a couple of times, he's had wrist pain quite early on in the session.

Is there any simple exercise he could do at home to alleviate the pain or help strengthen his wrists for that kind of pressure? 

He's not really getting on the slopers at the wall yet, spends most of his time working slabs. If he does get near one, wrist pain...

John Kelly 15 Apr 2018
In reply to PhilTimpotts:

I think he should stop before it hurts, gentle progression, it's only climbing

OP PhilTimpotts 15 Apr 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Thanks for your reply, it's a good point. This is all about enabling him to climb a little longer and continue to enjoy it without getting the pain.

I just wondered if there's anything he can do to strengthen his wrists (if that's what needs strengthening?) I just wondered if anyone had come across this issue with kids before and if there was a solution?

John Kelly 15 Apr 2018

I quite like laps on easy routes autobelayer but it's dull

Teenage boy with wrist problems, check his browsing history then buy some boxing gloves. 

Greasy Prusiks 15 Apr 2018

I've no idea if this is good advice but I occasionally get wrist pain and find a loop of tape around the wrist (quite tight, about an inch or two below the joint) stops it hurting. I'd get some proper advice before applying that (or anything else) to your son though as his bones and tendons are still developing. Good luck. 

Post edited at 21:13
 marsbar 15 Apr 2018

I think he needs to stop doing what is causing pain and rest it.  He is still growing and you don't want to cause long term damage at his age.  See a GP if it persists after a few weeks rest.

alx 15 Apr 2018

Rest until the pain stops. I would check for range of motion issues on the wrist, really tight forearm muscles could be limiting the joint. Stretching and strengthening both forearm extensor and wrists would help.

iccle_bully 16 Apr 2018

I would recommend getting him checked out, there may well be some very simple exercises or stretches that can be done however you need an expert to tell you what those are, especially on bones/tissue/tendons which are still developing. 

A decent physio with an understanding of climbing would be good, not sure where you're based but Harris and Ross in Manchester have an excellent reputation.

Mark Kemball 16 Apr 2018

Be VERY careful, get advice from a good climbing coach and / or physio. He is probably going through a growth spurt at the moment. While this is happening it is possible to do permanent damage to growth plates etc. this can have a long term / permanent effect. Durring growth spurts be very careful about training etc. You should be looking at antagonistic execises stretching etc. A good coach will advise on this.

Please note, I'm not an expert, but my son (now 17) was a member of the GB development squad last year and I'm trying to re-hash some of the advice we were given by the coaches. 

I cannot over emphasise the importance of this, I do personally know of at least 2 young climbers who have long term problems because of unsuitable training.

SuperLee1985 16 Apr 2018

I'm not a teenage boy, but I will get wrist pain if I try a particularly  slopery problem (either indoors or outdoors) before I've warmed up properly. Make sure he takes the time to warm up properly on easy routes before jumping on the hard stuff.

Not warming up is an easy way to pick up all kinds of injuries (from experience).

Rigid Raider 16 Apr 2018

Anybody who practices a strenuous sport should know that as muscle power develops, the supporting structures of the joints need time to catch up. If you don't rest and allow the process, which takes years rather than weeks or months, you will cause damage. Children over-practising on musical instruments and suffering tendon pain are a similar example and I have suffered periods of knee tenderness as I have pushed myself road cycling and developed bigger, stronger quads. 

Gentle massage with an ibuprofen gel helps in the short term.

Post edited at 14:55
OP PhilTimpotts 18 Apr 2018

Thank you everyone for your responses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...