UKC

thirlmere boulders - above water?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woodsy 15 Jun 2020

Just wondering if any of the boulders at Thirlmere are out of the water?  Cheers Woodsy 

petegunn 16 Jun 2020
In reply to woodsy:

The Whale block was still in the water a few weeks ago. All the rest were out, there have been a few heavy downpours since then but should still be ok.

Rick Graham 16 Jun 2020
In reply to petegunn:

This topic was discussed a few years ago.

Real time water levels are freely available on UU and river authority websites.

The consensus was that all the boulders are out when the level is 10m, though a lot of climbing is possible at say 11.7m.

it would make a lot of sense if this info was included in the various guides to the boulders.

ianstevens 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

> This topic was discussed a few years ago.

> Real time water levels are freely available on UU and river authority websites.

> The consensus was that all the boulders are out when the level is 10m, though a lot of climbing is possible at say 11.7m.

> it would make a lot of sense if this info was included in the various guides to the boulders.

In contrast the guide advises asking in Needle Sports or on here.

steveriley 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

I don't climb there but have added this to the Crag Notes for moderator approval:

2020 UKC thread noted: "The consensus was that all the boulders are out when the level is 10m, though a lot of climbing is possible at say 11.7m."

Current level here: https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/5210

Ehmarra 16 Jun 2020
In reply to petegunn:

are the trees still blocking the road in it took me a fair while to walk in a few years ago

petegunn 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Ehmarra:

Road is clear but you have to come along ftom the other end I. E. Not over the dam. Though this might also be clear now

Post edited at 20:50
 Ehmarra 17 Jun 2020
In reply to petegunn:

Cheers for info mate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...