UKC

Active Nest - Rivelin Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bennett 10 Mar 2020

Hi all,

Went to Rivelin Edge on Saturday and was able to hear chicks in a nest in the area between Tree Crack (VD) and Ulex (HS 4b). Unsure if they were owls or not as we stayed well clear, but just posting a warning here as the nest seemed very low down (within 5-10ft of the floor) judging by the sound.

Cheers,

Bennett.

Post edited at 09:08
 Kim 13 Mar 2020
In reply to bennett:

I checked this out today, and couldn't find any nest/chicks in the area (I climbed Tree Crack and went half way up Ulex and along the break between) - so I guess the noise was something else. There were a few droppings on the crag nearby so something looked like something might have roosted in the area - but I couldn't find any pellets so not a regular owl spot I don't think. For most species any nest with chicks would be exceptionally early at this time of year. Cheers for flagging it up though, always worth a look.

Kim (BMC vol for birdy stuff)

Sam Beaton 13 Mar 2020
In reply to Kim:

could it be bats?

scott culyer 13 Mar 2020
In reply to bennett:

i work as an environmental advisor for a construction firm and we have had reports of nesting birds earlier this march

Kim 13 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Yep possibly, I did keep my eye out for them too.

In reply to scott culyer:

> i work as an environmental advisor for a construction firm and we have had reports of nesting birds earlier this march

Mild winter maybe allowing things to start earlier. And yep, plenty starting to breed in March, it was more just it would be unusual to have chicks by the first week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...